In today's article, you can check your SSH configuration pretty easily...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
It's 'snot hard - but it sure can be useful (for fairly obvious reasons).

I do love me some feedback.

Okey doki (as in Eng, not JP doki), loki:

Review: Good job. Newbie friendly and well explained. Nice.

Checks:
FTR: I included style recommendations and info, not just grammar, punctuation, etc.

An upgrade to the SSH application may have made some of the options different or even removed the options entirely.
or even removed them entirely.

Not only will the article show you how to check your SSH configuration files – it’ll show you how to test alternative configurations.
Not only will the article show you how to check your SSH configuration files, it’ll show you how to test alternative configurations.

This article requires an open terminal, like many other articles on this site
This article requires an open terminal -- like many other articles on this site
or
This article requires an open terminal (like many other articles on this site)

If you don’t know how to open the terminal, you can do so with your keyboard – just press
If you don’t know how to open the terminal, you can do so with your keyboard, just press

Find a one line option that has a “no” option field and change it to “oh_no” *sans quotes, though that probably won’t matter) and then save the file.
Find a one-line option that has a “no” option field and change it to “oh_no” (sans quotes -- though that probably won’t matter) and then save the file.

Also, to save the file in nano, press CTRL + X, then Y, and then ENTER and that should do it.
Purely info: You can us Ctrl+o, Ctrl+x as you know (style thing I guess). For user-friendliness, newer versions of nano support Ctrl+s to save -- I dunno if that makes a difference.

If you do somehow need to restart SSH server (you shouldn’t have to), it’s restarted with the following command:
If you do somehow need to restart SSH server (you shouldn’t have to), restart it with the following command:

Then again, people seldom read this far down in an article.
Hey! I did...

LOL Thanks! I know I shouldn't, but I love me some hyphens. Of all of those, the very last one makes the most sense. 'restart it' will read better and make more sense.

Hmm... Editing it won't be too much of a hassle - but too much editing in a short amount of time (it's published) looks bad and can actually be bad for reasons you probably don't care about (it pings other sites every time it's updated - with all that entails).

I also don't even know if folks will need to restart SSH. In my research, I read of some folks saying to do so - but that doesn't make any sense as it just reads the config file. In my testing, it didn't need restarting on any of the three systems I tested on. So, I think there's just some misinformation out there. I figured I'd attempt to make it a little bit less muddy while still including how to do so.

Also, my writing is often (in part) dictated by "the system" - meaning I'm aiming to meet requirements, both in readability but also in internal scoring. Then, I must also optimize for search engine results.

If you're attentive over time, you'll see there's a bit of a formula to it. The title always contains the phrase I'm hoping to rank for, as does the first paragraph, as will at least one sub-heading, etc... That's how I get all that juicy Google traffic. Considering the age and limited content, Google frickin' loves my site.

I also don't even know if folks will need to restart SSH. In my research, I read of some folks saying to do so - but that doesn't make any sense as it just reads the config file. In my testing, it didn't need restarting on any of the three systems I tested on. So, I think there's just some misinformation out there. I figured I'd attempt to make it a little bit less muddy while still including how to do so.
Officially, you should send a SIGHUP kill signal killall -SIGHUP sshd (like with many daemons, SIGHUP or SIGUSR1 is generally a hint to reload the config file without actually terminatingbthe process). This keeps your current connection alive (useful if you're editing remotely)... That's minus systemd, though. IDK if it's monitoring the config file, and/or what that triggers (you'd have to check the unit file for sshd defaults -- I'm only just leaving the stone age myself and learning unit files). That's one of the many joys systemd brought to Linux: the uncertainty thanks to acting above processes; so now we talk to systemd, not the process, which makes an admin's job easier while being real PITA for everyday users.[/icode]

so now we talk to systemd, not the process, which makes an admin's job easier while being real PITA for everyday users.[/icode]

I actually don't mind systemd. I dare say I prefer it - more or less. It does things beyond being an init system, which I don't necessarily like - but at least it's relatively easy to deal with.

I actually don't mind systemd. I dare say I prefer it - more or less. It does things beyond being an init system, which I don't necessarily like - but at least it's relatively easy to deal with.
Yep, that's pretty much my attitude. I was about to jump ship when Debian made the announcement for the change, but losing "stable" Debian on a work machine ain't worth my getting upset cozza changes. I still complain about the "modern world" of tech, but I've learned that even if it inconveniences me, as long as it doesn't hurt me, I adapt.

Staff online

Members online