In today's article, you'll check a disk for errors.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
'Snot very complicated, just a few commands you can use to check a disk for errors. Knowing and checking may save you from data loss. Data loss really, really sucks.

Don't forget the feedback!

Good article. You say "disk" instead of "drive", so maybe it could be inferred that you are specifically talking about spinner drives. What would happen if you ran badblocks on a SSD/NVME?

I think it's time for us (the industry) to get away from using terms like "disk" and "drive", and maybe move to "permanent storage", prepending the type. E.g. "SSD/NVME permanent storage" or "disk permanent storage".

Oh, you can run it just fine. I probably should have used drive, but it'll be fine. It was written under some frustrating circumstances, so I won't be too demanding.

And yeah, there's a bunch of ambiguity. With hard disks becoming less common, the word can eventually fade out of use.

I should probably have also included a warning about how some of those may only work with Ext file systems.

If I want to check my 500 Internal SSDs...I use ...Smart Data & SelfTests...this gives me all the info I need and is safe.
happy0006.gif

Back in the dark days of windwoes there was a program called Crystaldiskmark to check Read,Write speeds but if you use it on an SSD it may shorten SSD and Flash Drive memory life.
mad0034.gif

HDDs (sata) on the other hand are a very different situation due to all the moving parts and can fail anytime. When using HDDs (windwoes) I downloaded tools from Western Digital and Seagate to check for errors but never got any but out of the blue the HDD would fail...so I don't place any faith in these tools...that's why I create an image.
happy0021.gif

Staff online

Members online