Infestation in My Laptop LCD [Solved]

Fanboi

Reaction score
Credits
Okay, basically as the title says. Weird-ass fcking things that look like tiny mites, too large to be dust mites, but friggin small. Little fckers are 1-4px in size. They wander across my screen. Dunno WTF they are or from whence they came. All I know is that they crawl and cannot fly. They presumably are living somewhere in the panel housing, but before I dismantle my laptop, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to commit genocide on these little buggers and your opinions of my idea's safety.s
My idea is place the notebook in a refuse bag with a sponge soaked in isopropyl alcohol (85%) or methanol (menthylated spirits -- fcking toxic) and seal the bag air tight, opening it every 4-8 hours to re-soak the sponge and then reseal it. I figure the fumes will kill the little shits without actually damaging my PC components.

The other thought I had was just sealing the bag and extracting most of the air and leaving it for a few weeks in the hopes they'll run out of O2, but at their size, who knows and I don't want to be without laptop given my impending move (I will have to disassemble a lot, from my weighted case stuff like my CPU cooler, delicates like HDDs, to my desk) and possibly keeping it stored until I get some cash to replace that bloody PSU.

Thoughts? TIA.

What is toxic to humans often isn't toxic to bugs. Bugs also use very little oxygen, many surviving just fine in low oxygen environments.

I'd try to identify the bugs first and then pick a strategy. If they're in your laptop, they're quite likely elsewhere in your living quarters.

By the way, my understanding is that we call them computer bugs because back in the day (when computers were large things that filled a giant room) they literally had bug problems - as in little critters. Though it wasn't the first use of 'bug', it was the first computer bug and the name has stuck.

Hmm... Ain't nobody gonna believe the above, so I decided I better dig out a link:

Meh, close enough to my memory.

Anyhow, there are sites like Reddit that have bug identification subs. Someone there may help you identify it and then you can work on eradicating it.

By the way, my understanding is that we call them computer bugs because back in the day (when computers were large things that filled a giant room) they literally had bug problems - as in little critters. Though it wasn't the first use of 'bug', it was the first computer bug and the name has stuck.

Hmm... Ain't nobody gonna believe the above, so I decided I better dig out a link:

Meh, close enough to my memory.

Anyhow, there are sites like Reddit that have bug identification subs. Someone there may help you identify it and then you can work on eradicating it.
Lol, that article! So the term was literal! I spose it makes sense, but that's still damn funny coz today we have to clarify it if we mean literal bugs like insects.

Maybe you can put your OccupationNinja/Assasin/Janitor to use? But on a more serious note are they only in the display or in the main caseing as well?
Someone read my bio? I feel special! Sadly I'm more a stealth type so unless I can assasinate the leader, I'm stuck.

As for where they are, it was just the screen, but I'm finding them in other parts of my room now. It's like they're spreading. All I can think is that I ordered a keyboard for my main PC online about 2 weeks prior to this and the box was dusty as hell when it arrived. Although I haven't seen any tiny fckers on the keyboard (I scanned it for ages with my phone's torch), I'm wondering if there weren't stowaways i the packaging that moved in on the laptop coz I hardly clean it inside as dissasembling a laptop is tedious. I do have the laptop next to my hub of cables which gets dusty
easily.

Blow it out with compressed air, should blow the bugs out also. It's not hard to separate the laptop screen panels, I've done it before and put it back together with no problem. I never had bugs in my computers but my house does have a serious dust issue where extreme dust collects everyday so I have to dust everything down daily and vacuum a lot; though I do get dust mites on my desk sometimes.

If there is a source of mold (moukd) in the house, vinegar and water will kill the mites.

They are Mold Mites.
But I have no mold in my bedroom, I don't see any in the house, either. I live in WC, South Africa. Hot weather,generally low humidity. Mold hardly ever forms here, and when it does, it's easy to get rid of. We have cold, rainy winters, yes, but it's spring here, almost summer. However, reading up, I noticed dust mites being 0.3mm, which is visible to me (I thought they were invisible). So maybe.

Blow it out with compressed air, should blow the bugs out also. It's not hard to separate the laptop screen panels, I've done it before and put it back together with no problem. I never had bugs in my computers but my house does have a serious dust issue where extreme dust collects everyday so I have to dust everything down daily and vacuum a lot; though I do get dust mites on my desk sometimes.
I clean my laptop in full every now & then. I tried that ages back, but can't seem to get rid of them. They're too fcking small (I doubt normal folk could see 'em). That's why I wanted to gas the little buggers in a sealed bag.

If there is a source of mold (moukd) in the house, vinegar and water will kill the mites.
No mold here, but tips are always welcome. Vinegar's cheaper than my current concoction so when/if I encounter mold, I'll try it.

I think I've found a viable solution: I'm going to cook them!

Okay, so this is how it goes: Put the laptop in the oven at 60℃ for an hour. Think:
- Components designed for heat resistance.
- No living thing can survive temps like that for a couple hours.

This is either absolute genius or pure insanity.

Funny how closely those two go together.

I think I've found a viable solution: I'm going to cook them!

Okay, so this is how it goes: Put the laptop in the oven at 60℃ for an hour. Think:
- Components designed for heat resistance.
- No living thing can survive temps like that for a couple hours.

This is either absolute genius or pure insanity.

Funny how closely those two go together.
Use a blow dryer.

Use a blow dryer.
That could work and get rid of any dust, too. I just don't have a blow dryer (I buzzcut my hair myself, hairdressers and barbers are a scam, lol). Will maybe borrow one and see.

Imma mark this as solved. I think I've got enough info on what my enemies of the laptop are and enough info to efficiently and cleanly erradicate them. I also know now how they got in. Gonna be a little more cautious about that retailer, too.

Thanks guys.

But I have no mold in my bedroom

They are attracted to warm and dry, dusty places. They could also be Dust Mites. I have a cabinet with a glass front. My laptops sit in there. Pulled my HP out after 2 weeks. It is not used a lot. Opened it up and there they were. About 1 month ago. Alcohol wipes took care o dem. The Hp was in an the open, My Alienware that is also in there is in a laptop bag. No mites.

No mold here, but tips are always welcome. Vinegar's cheaper than my current concoction so when/if I encounter mold, I'll try it.

Also if you suspect even surface mold using bleach or Vinegar will kill what you see but not the spores they flee. There are some spores that cannot be traced with high speed cameras. You need an enzyme.
I have this, we sold it in the shop. I got the concentrate, mix it with water in a spray bottle. Good all around cleaner.

Members online