[info] Disable PC speaker (pcm sound)

rado84

Reaction score
Credits
After nearly 2 years with Arch I finally found a way to disable the beeping sound I hear every time the cursor reaches the end of the line in text boxes and yet keep the pc speaker active for anything else that is not related to the OS (such as PC reboot notifications and so on).
I can't be sure this method would work for ALL distros but logic suggests that it should.

1. Open terminal and type:
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/nobeep.conf
and inside that file add:
Code:
blacklist pcspkr

2. Save and restart the computer.

The above command tells udev not to load the pc speaker kernel module when the system boots up. Thus no more annoying beep while you're moving the cursor through text and yet keeping the boot up beep active which usually occurs after the boot screen (the screen where you decide whether to press F11 or Delete or not).

*I know the easiest solution would be to just disconnect the pc speaker from the motherboard but that's not what I needed.

**Replace gedit with your favorite text editor.

i'm also on Arch vanilla and using Cinnnamon . i'm not getting any beeps . Since there's one or 2 Arch users how about a gerneral thread for Arch along the lines : "Arch hints, tips"

The only recent issues i've had was a backlight issue and:

[andrew@darkstar:~]$ sudo pacman -V (06-01 16:26)
[sudo] password for andrew:

.--. Pacman v6.0.0 - libalpm v13.0.0
/ _.-' .-. .-. .-. Copyright (C) 2006-2021 Pacman Development Team
\ '-. '-' '-' '-' Copyright (C) 2002-2006 Judd Vinet
'--'
This program may be freely redistributed under
the terms of the GNU General Public License.

[andrew@darkstar:~]$ yay (06-01 16:27)
yay: error while loading shared libraries: libalpm.so.12: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[andrew@darkstar:~][127]$ (06-01 16:27)

i've seen by googling latest pacman broke yay, but i'm just getting around yay on command line to update by the fact that i used git clone for the couple of packages I have from AUR , so i just use git pull, makpkg -s and re-install the newer version

Members online

Latest posts