[info topic] File selector window stays on the screen for at least 30 seconds

rado84

Reaction score
Credits
I'm posting this topic just as info, if you encounter this problem and to save you the trouble of resultless Googling.

So, if you encounter a problem where the file selector windows stay on the screen for 30 seconds or longer, the problem is with a Qt config file (~/.config/QtProject.conf) which has grown to an insane size which is slowing down the whole system cuz it takes time to read the whole file - in my case it had become 480 MiB. Normally it should be 95 bytes with just 4 lines in it. So simply delete that config file and reboot the system. Logging out of session doesn't work as you hope, it has to be a full system reboot.

Rado, might be worth specifying just what sort of Qt apps are involved, eg FreeCAD, VLC, and so on.

Wiz

Rado, might be worth specifying just what sort of Qt apps are involved, eg FreeCAD, VLC, and so on.

Wiz
All, really. Any app that was made using the QT Framework would be affected by this problem - the dialog windows, including the file selector for uploading files, wouldn't appear at all and the system would freeze, unless you kill the process of the program you've just opened.
Those from GTK would appear but when you select a file, the window remains on the screen for at least 30 seconds before the file is sent/uploaded wherever you wanted it be.
I'm guessing that problem was caused by the huge config file of qtproject bc it takes time to read 480 MiB plain text.

But if you really need me to name a few, these are the ones I have and they all were affected by the aforementioned problem: kolourpaint, nomacs, mkvtoolnix-gui, telegram-desktop, k3b, discord, qbittorrent, qwinff, qalculate, qt5ct, qt6ct...

I don't use VLC but if it was made with the QT Framework, then it would have been affected as well.

Members online

Latest posts