Information About Snap Packages

The real question is, what is their definition of "event"? I have never been asked nor have I ever entered any personal information when installing a Canonical product. I do know that there is a process that collects machine information and phones that info home to Canonical. But, that process includes an "opt -out". It should be an "opt-in" choice, but at least "opt-out" is available.

Kubuntu 20.04.1 LTS. On a clean install, Kubuntu did install snap, but no chromium, because I don't use chromium and it was not anywhere on my computer, including any .config files. I removed snap and it's dependencies via Synaptic.
Today:
Code:
john@john-Desktop:~/Downloads$ sudo find / -iname snap
[sudo] password for john:
john@john-Desktop:~/Downloads$ sudo find / -iname snapd
john@john-Desktop:~/Downloads$
No snap, no snapd. No snap software at all.

Now are snaps "evil"? Not any more or less than any other software written by the hand of man. I do believe they are inefficient, and a poor implementation of a hardened containerized system. They have no place on my PC.

Your choice is your choice.
Just for the hell of it I decided to install Ubuntu 20.04 and see if snapd could be removed safely without any problems.

Followed this.

Then restarted my computer and all went well.

Code:
nelson@Dell-OptiPlex-XE:~$ snap list

Command 'snap' not found, but can be installed with:

sudo apt install snapd

So snapd can be safely removed without problems based on my own personal experience. :)

Just for the hell of it I decided to install Ubuntu 20.04 and see if snapd could be removed safely without any problems.

Followed this.

Then restarted my computer and all went well.

Code:
nelson@Dell-OptiPlex-XE:~$ snap list

Command 'snap' not found, but can be installed with:

sudo apt install snapd

So snapd can be safely removed without problems based on my own personal experience. :)

Thanks for the confirmation.

I originally tried removing snap and it's dependencies through Synaptic Package Manager the way @jglen490 did in post # 19 and I apparently removed some useful needed software.

Apparently there's some difference in snapd on Kubuntu 20.04 and Ubuntu 20.04 which makes sense being different distros.

Anyway since this was for learning purposes and such I reinstalled and updated and then followed the method explained here.

It's just 'sudo apt purge snapd' to get rid of it. So, it's this:

Code:
sudo apt purge snapd
sudo rm -rf ~/snap
sudo rm -rf /var/snap
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/snapd
sudo reboot

It's pretty much the first thing I do on modern Ubuntu distros. I have zero need, nor desire, for snap apps. So many issues are resolved by telling people to remove the snap version and install the software by traditional means.

I originally tried removing snap and it's dependencies through Synaptic Package Manager the way @jglen490 did in post # 19 and I apparently removed some useful needed software.

Apparently there's some difference in snapd on Kubuntu 20.04 and Ubuntu 20.04 which makes sense being different distros.

Anyway since this was for learning purposes and such I reinstalled and updated and then followed the method explained here.

What useful packages were removed?

What useful packages were removed?
Settings
Additional drivers
Software updater
Sound center

All of these seem to be a part of the control settings panel witch once I reinstalled came back.

The updating and installing software I could handle using the terminal.

I think one of these dependencies removes gnome control center.

gir1.2-snapd-1

libsnapd-gilb1

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online