Install 18.04.1 on raid0

sparks79

Reaction score
Credits
I need help, Coming from Windows, So I am Green at this.
And I am not so young ( 70) so please take it easy.
I have a Powerful System, Home Built, ASUS M/B H370M-Plus, 16gb ram, On board Graphics, Two Samsung 970 Evo's, I5 8400 CPU.
I want to Install 1804 Onto raid0 ( using the two Evo's ).
But using The Server Edition to Achieve this is a Long and Painful process.
Using the Motherboard Bios to create the raid is easy for Windows.
And I am Aware that Raid Created with the M/B is nearly Impossible to Install Linux onto.
So I am looking for some Easy way to Create the Raid0 and Install 18.04.
I would even be willing to try another version of linux if there is one that would create the raid0 Automatically .
Any help would be appreciated.
John

And I am not so young ( 70) so please take it easy.

b_Zo_Rud6_-_Imgur.gif

Read my Post of a few minutes ago, here, and the BTW

https://www.linux.org/threads/mp3s-to-mobile-phone.19933/

I am Aussie, @sparks79 and welcome to linux.org :)

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, trips over his advancing arthritis, curses)

To your issue -

John, for the benefit of The Viewers (most of whom will likely know this) 18.04.1 is Ubuntu 18.04.1 'Bionic Beaver' - although you, John could clarify the DE (Desktop Environment, eg GNOME or MATE or other) or flavour, if eg Xubuntu or other?

I know squat about RAID, but others here do, and at time of writing, US is mostly asleep, and Britain just waking up, so if you let us know your timezone (no privacy invasion intended) that can be helpful too?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

John, just another thought - if you have not yet made the acquaintance of Timeshift, now would be a good time to start.

When you get a chance, read my Tute here

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

and for a simple Debian-based version, a part of the Linux Lite OS manual here, is straightforward

https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/tutorials.html

Timeshift is like Windows Restore but far more versatile, and actually works (as mate Brian says)

Take a snapshot of your Linux setup before you start with the RAID, and then if things head south for the winter, you can roll back easily.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks to all for helping so far.
My Time Zone is NSW Australia GMT+10.
I don't have ubuntu installed at present and quite frankly when I have, I wouldn't know What it was, like, gnome, Mate or What.
And that's another Bitch I have about ubuntu, it doesn't give you any choice when you install it.
I'm not worried about Backups or Restore or Timeshift, thanks anyway.
And I don't think that I could Move an Installed vers of ubuntu from One of my Two Nvme M.2 Drives to Raid0 on The Two drives.
Because for my project I will be using the only two I have, and I can;'t see how that could be done if I am using One of them.
I tried by installing it onto another HDD, Set up the raid then copy it over to the raid.
But that is a very long process.
You see that is exactly what I am trying to do in essence but in a more humane and shorter or more direct way.
John

Crikey, another Aussie :). You'll be easy to keep in touch with, other than when you go to silly time Sunday week (Queenslander here)

I'll answer the questions I can, blow by blow, and hopefully someone will fill in the RAID gaps? :)

I don't have ubuntu installed at present and quite frankly when I have, I wouldn't know What it was, like, gnome, Mate or What.

To install, you have to have a file ending in .iso. The name of the file will be something like :

ubuntu-18.04-desktop-amd64.iso - that's GNOME

ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64.iso - that's MATE (pron."mar-tay", mate :))

And that's another Bitch I have about ubuntu, it doesn't give you any choice when you install it.

How so? Might need to define a little more. You get what you downloaded. If you choose to download Windows, you need to know whether you want Win 7 (still supported), Win 8, Win 8.1 or Win 10. So just clear me up on that.

I'm not worried about Backups or Restore or Timeshift, thanks anyway.

Your call :) Good luck.

And I don't think that I could Move an Installed vers of ubuntu from One of my Two Nvme M.2 Drives to Raid0 on The Two drives.

As I said, I won't be commenting on Raid, just general principles of using Linux. I run 60 to 80 Linux at a time, sometimes 45+ on one computer ... so I know a little :p

Because for my project I will be using the only two I have, and I can;'t see how that could be done if I am using One of them.
I tried by installing it onto another HDD, Set up the raid then copy it over to the raid.
But that is a very long process.
You see that is exactly what I am trying to do in essence but in a more humane and shorter or more direct way.

Hope the above helps a little, if not, ask, and we'll wait on the Cavalry to swing in on the RAID side.

Cheers

Wizard

Thanks Wizard, The ISO I have been using is ubuntu-18.04-desktop-amd64.iso.
OK I see now that it is Gnome, Thanks..
Now for Goodies--- Can you/Someone, help with my raid0 problem.??
John

Hi Sparky, and welcome to the site! I'm afraid I'm not the cavalry. I don't even own a horse. After a long-ago data loss due to hard drive failure (that hardware RAID was supposed to protect)... I gave up on that idea. Since then I have preferred standard installations with good backup plans. But I wish you very good luck as you pursue this method! :D

Cheers

Members online

Latest posts