Install GIMP 2.10 on Ubuntu 20.04 - Tecadmin

Tecadmin

Reaction score
Credits
MODERATOR'S WARNING - The PPA listed is not being maintained, I advise you not to use it.

Wizard

GIMP is a free and open-source raster graphics editor used for image retouching and editing, free-form drawing, converting between different image formats, and more specialized tasks. You can install GIMP 2.10 on Ubuntu 20.04 using the following steps:

Step 1 – Installing GIMP

Use the following command for installing GIMP

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp

sudo apt install gimp

Step 2 – Access GIMP Application

Code:
gimp

It will help you install GIMP on Ubuntu 20.04.

Last edited by a moderator:

@cheapo G'day :):)

Just a heads up - the material written by the OP (original poster) is both obsolete and not best-advised.

You could let me know if
  1. You have Ubuntu (20.04)? and
  2. If you have a genuine interest in installing GIMP and I'll tell you 3 better ways
I have to sign off for my evening in Oz

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

That's fine @cheapo :)

I'll explain more a little later in my day for the benefit of other Viewers, but briefly
  1. The version of GIMP you have installed via PPA (Personal Package Archive) was already available to you within Ubuntu 20.04's repositories, and could have been installed from Ubuntu Software, Synaptic Package Manager or via the Terminal with sudo apt-get install gimp
  2. The methods above would ensure that when GIMP is updated, you receive those updates, and normally, with a maintained PPA that would also apply, but Otto Meier, the maintainer of ppa:eek:tto-kesselgulasch, has not maintained it since November 2019. He says
    [*]for personal reasons my PPA activities are dropped for the time being.
    Sorry
    [*]
  3. So it is unlikely that you will receive newer versions when they become available, but if you are happy with that, fine.
  4. Rahul Kumar, who is @Tecadmin , has not taken that into account and updated his Tutorials or How-To's
For that last reason, I am unlinking his hyperlink above, and may later close or delete this Thread.

If you have any questions on how to ensure reliability of supply, whether to use PPA's, benefits and pitfalls, please feel free to start a Thread and ask away.

Enjoy your Linux

Wizard

GIMP can also be downloaded as a flatpack from their website the Buntu version is stable release 2.10.18 the latest is 2.10.22
looks like a few minor tweaks is all

Members online

Latest posts