Install Linux on an old mac mini g4

finditmax

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Guys, new to the forum but not Linux.
I have a couple of old machine that I have put Debian on one, and the other Ubuntu server, lost everything in the Covid-19 mess, so out of work. the 2 machine I have was given to me by people that did not need them. I also got a nice very old mac mini (OS X 10.5.4 G4) I managed to get into the source code and remove the admin account and create my own admin account so now have full access. I would love to put Linux on this machine but it is not AMD or INTEL, and I am having a devil of a job getting it to recognise a boot disc or usb pen.
Had enough trouble getting into the system as the command + R did not work nor any of the other variations of key they tell you to use, CTRL +S worked for me..lol.

Is there anybody that has managed to solve this issue?

Richard

You don't have a ton of choices according to DistroWatch.

DistroWatch

That link should take you to the results from an advanced search, using powerpc as the architecture. The Ubuntu entries were once true, but are no longer true.

Searching for Hackintosh might help you.

cheers guys, will have a look at Hackintosh Crippled as I tried DistroWatch already thanks KGIII, only available linux was Vine linux and it is in Japanese, could not find a English version ..lol
It will not beat me...I will find a way ;)

Nice one KGIII , I have downloaded yellow dog, and am in the process of downloading Debian 8.11 for powerpc...nice find :cool:

Nice one KGIII , I have downloaded yellow dog, and am in the process of downloading Debian 8.11 for powerpc...nice find :cool:
I have an original Mac Mini PPC and was thinking of putting linux on it. How did it work out?

AB

Members online

Latest posts