INSTALL LINUX

LUISMA

Reaction score
Credits
WELL, I HAVE A HD FROM AN OLD LAPTOP WITH PARTITIONS. I WOULD LIKE TO INSTALL LINUX IN ONE OF THEM AND RUN LINUX FROM IT IN OTHER LAPTOP. IS IT POSSIBLE? HOW CAN I DO IT? IS NECESARY TO FORMAT ALL HD PREVIOUSLY? THANKS

Yes it is possible to install Linux to the hard disk that you have.

Before installing Linux it would be helpful if you could take a screenshot of the partitions on that disk or use g-parted and take a screenshot of those partitions and post it for us to see.

What exact make and model is this laptop?
Is it an HP? Sony? Lenovo?

Hi,

To install linux on any machine, down load the OS you want

Ectch onto Flash or SD card, reboot laptop (usually F12) or PC enter bios pick boot to SD or USB and follow instructions to run along side your present OS, or wipe and install.

Davi

Yes it is possible to install Linux to the hard disk that you have.

Before installing Linux it would be helpful if you could take a screenshot of the partitions on that disk or use g-parted and take a screenshot of those partitions and post it for us to see.

What exact make and model is this laptop?
Is it an HP? Sony? Lenovo?
I want to run LUBUNTU in a laptop ASUS 8 gb RAM from a external HD with these partitions, I attach file, is disc 1. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Attachments

• PARTITIONS HD.pdf
    72.6 KB · Views: 689
I want to run LUBUNTU in a laptop ASUS 8 gb RAM from a external HD with these partitions, I attach file, is disc 1. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
Hey, welcome to Linux.org! :3 As the others have said, GParted will be key here. :) But you should know that running any OS via USB, even on a regular Drive attached to a USB cable, is noticeably slower, and more prone to being unplugged (which could damage your Data, or worse, maybe the Drive itself). :( Do you have a standard SATA HDD/SSD or NVMe SSD? :) That would be a better approach. :) But your way would certainly work, if you wanted to. :)

MY IDEA IS TO USE THIS OLD SATA HDD FOR PRACTISE WITH LINUX WITHOUT UNINSTALL WINDOWS IN THE HDD OF LAPTOP
MY FIRST STEP WOULD BE TO INSTALL LUBUNTU (OR ANOTHER DISTRIBUTION) AND AFTERTHAT RUN IT FROM THE LAPTOP. I DON'T KNOW IF IT S A GOOD IDEA OR THERE IS A BETTER SOLUTION. THANKS

I looked at the PDF of your Windows partition and your partition is 887.15 GB.
If you want to install Lubuntu to that disk with Windows on it you will have to shrink your Windows partition first.

Some Linux distro's installers will give you the option to install alonge side of Windows.
I'm not sure if Lubuntu does that or not. If not; like I mentioned before you would have to shrink your Windows partition say in 1/2 to make room for Lubuntu.
To do that you would go into Disk Management.

Staff online

Members online