Install Ubantu ...

Irish515

Reaction score
Credits
I put in a new HD ... no os. Put in a bookable usb with Linux desktop 20.04 and did nothing.... froze on the F2 Setup - F12 Boot menu screen. Do not have a CD Rom with Linux, only a USB. PLEASE HELP....

How did you put the ISO on the USB?

Did you change the BIOS/Boot Order to boot from the USB first, before the Hard Drive?

The usb came with files already on it, not as a ico file.

I did not change the order of the boots, but in further checking the first boot, EXTERNAL BOOT only listed FLOPPY, and the 4th was REMOVABLE BOOT

Did you flash the iso onto your flashdrive? Did you press the F11 or F12 keys shortly after booting your computer (if it'd an HP laptop or prebuilt desktop then its F9) in order to access the boot menu?

It did not come as an ISO. It came as a USB with 3 files and a folder already put on the USB

When placed in the computer and turned on i tried to press F12 and nothing. It froze. The screen state F2 Setup and F12 Boot Menu. Without the USB it does not freeze and will go into the Boot Menu.

It did not come as an ISO. It came as a USB with 3 files and a folder already put on the USB

When placed in the computer and turned on i tried to press F12 and nothing. It froze. The screen state F2 Setup and F12 Boot Menu. Without the USB it does not freeze and will go into the Boot Menu.

It sounds like your USB does not have a bootable .iso Linux image on it. That is what you need.
The fix is:
- on another computer download the Ubuntu .iso image
- search the Ubuntu site for instructions on burning the .ISO image to the USB drive (you'll need something like Etcher to do this)
- part of those instructions will be to format the USB drive
Once you've burnt the .ISO image on to the USB drive, make sure your linux-to-be system is set to boot from a USB device first, insert the USB drive, and boot.

keith

Sounds like your USB doesn't have the .iso image of a Linux distribution on it at all.

What program did you use to put the .iso image onto your USB and make it bootable?
I recommend 'Etcher' or 'Rufus' if your using a Windows machine.

Members online

Latest posts