Install Ubuntu on zfs drive

Lassar

Reaction score
Credits
In the past when I have install ubuntu on a ext4 drive, it always get corrupted.

Is there a way to install ubuntu using ZFS, not ext4?

From the link you sent me.

"Ubuntu itself still uses the ext4 file system"

If you look at the screenshot of step 8 at it clearly shows that it's creating a an esp partition as vfat, a swap partition and partitions formatted as zfs. I tried it myself on a vm and this is what my filesystems look like after installation.
Code:
tux@ubuntu:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 21.10
Release:    21.10
Codename:    impish
tux@ubuntu:~$ mount | grep zfs
rpool/ROOT/ubuntu_2kr8m0 on / type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl)
rpool/USERDATA/tux_2g3jg1 on /home/tux type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl)
rpool/USERDATA/root_2g3jg1 on /root type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl)
rpool/ROOT/ubuntu_2kr8m0/usr/local on /usr/local type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl)
rpool/ROOT/ubuntu_2kr8m0/var/games on /var/games type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl)
rpool/ROOT/ubuntu_2kr8m0/var/log on /var/log type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl)
rpool/ROOT/ubuntu_2kr8m0/var/lib on /var/lib type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl)
rpool/ROOT/ubuntu_2kr8m0/var/mail on /var/mail type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl)
rpool/ROOT/ubuntu_2kr8m0/var/snap on /var/snap type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl)
rpool/ROOT/ubuntu_2kr8m0/srv on /srv type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl)
rpool/ROOT/ubuntu_2kr8m0/var/www on /var/www type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl)
rpool/ROOT/ubuntu_2kr8m0/var/spool on /var/spool type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl)
rpool/ROOT/ubuntu_2kr8m0/var/lib/dpkg on /var/lib/dpkg type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl)
rpool/ROOT/ubuntu_2kr8m0/var/lib/NetworkManager on /var/lib/NetworkManager type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl)
rpool/ROOT/ubuntu_2kr8m0/var/lib/apt on /var/lib/apt type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl)
rpool/ROOT/ubuntu_2kr8m0/var/lib/AccountsService on /var/lib/AccountsService type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl)
bpool/BOOT/ubuntu_2kr8m0 on /boot type zfs (rw,nodev,relatime,xattr,posixacl)

IF I'm not mistaken most installers give you options in the drop down menu of the' partition manager' where you can choose which type of partition you want to create.

The screenshot that f33dm3bits posted confirms that.

From the link you sent me.

"Ubuntu itself still uses the ext4 file system"
Try performing a fresh installation and when it comes time to partition {manual partitioning} use the drop down menu to create the kind of partition (zfs) you want.
Let us know how it goes.

Staff online

Members online