Install Zoom application

Last edited:
Hi,

First of all, I am a new comer to Ubuntu.

I followed instruction to download Zoom by “Using a graphical installer”. The steps I have taken:

1. Open the terminal
2. Enter password

I don’t know how to access step number 3, download the DEB, from command in terminal.

Also, I would like to attach screenshots but still don’t know how to do it in Ubuntu.

Regards,

I'll explain how to do it.
1. Go to this website: https://zoom.us/download?os=linux
2. Select: Linux Type(Ubuntu) OS Architecture (64bit) and Version(16.04+)
3. Click download
4. Open a terminal
5. Run the following: sudo apt install libgl1-mesa-glx libegl1-mesa libxcb-xtest0 libxcb-xinerama0
6. Change to you download directory where you downloaded zoom: cd ~/Downloads
7. Install Zoom by running: sudo dpkg -i zoom_amd64.deb
8. After that is done you can launch Zoom from the launcher in the menu.

In short you download the deb package, then you install the needed libraries using apt and then you install the the download package using dpkg. Normally you can install software from the normal repositories using the software store or apt but since Zoom is proprietary it's not available in the default repositories.

Last edited:
I'm not going to pass judgment by asking this, but why do you want to use Zoom in the first place?

I'll explain how to do it.
1. Go to this website: https://zoom.us/download?os=linux
2. Select: Linux Type(Ubuntu) OS Architecture (64bit) and Version(16.04+)
3. Click download
4. Open a terminal
5. Run the following: sudo apt install libgl1-mesa-glx libegl1-mesa libxcb-xtest0 libxcb-xinerama0
6. Change to you download directory where you downloaded zoom: cd ~/Downloads
7. Install Zoom by running: sudo dpkg -i zoom_amd64.deb
8. After that is done you can launch Zoom from the launcher in the menu.

In short you download the deb package, then you install the needed libraries using apt and then you install the the download package using dpkg. Normally you can install software from the normal repositories using the software store or apt but since Zoom is proprietary it's not available in the default repositories.
Just one thing, instead of running two commands, you can do
Code:
sudo apt install ./zoom_amd64.deb
this will download and install all necessary dependencies and zoom in one go. :)

I'm not going to pass judgment by asking this, but why do you want to use Zoom in the first place?
Because he needs/has to? I use Zoom too, where I work that's what they use, so whether I like it or not, I have to use it.

What's wrong with Zoom.

I was just asking a question out of curiosity. While I do some criticism of it, I'll keep that to myself because I don't want to start a flame war, and then have one of the mods get involved. I've unfortunately gotten into a few of those on here already.

Because he needs/has to? I use Zoom too, where I work that's what they use, so whether I like it or not, I have to use it.
I had to smile when I saw this conversation. I had a heated conversation with my manager about having to come into work when I was getting called every few hours 24 by 7. The first time I came into the office we had a meeting where everyone in the room pulled up a webex so we could interact and get our work done. I left work pretty early in the pandemic but can't imagine getting anything done without such a tool. This type of tool allowed me to work from anywhere at a moments notice. One of my favorite parts was the ability to be given control of someone else's desktop so that I could speed through resolving issues as opposed to the head banging on the desk while attempting to talk someone through a task.

Just one thing, instead of running two commands, you can do
Code:
sudo apt install ./zoom_amd64.deb
this will download and install all necessary dependencies and zoom in one go. :)
I'm used to installing separate deb files like that, so that being the reason I used that out of habit but you are right :)

I was just asking a question out of curiosity. While I do some criticism of it, I'll keep that to myself because I don't want to start a flame war, and then have one of the mods get involved. I've unfortunately gotten into a few of those on here already.
I was also asking out of curiosity.

I've noticed that a lot of people use Zoom because the user who hosts the link for the session uses Zoom.

I've used Zoom and it always worked good.

f33dm3bits:

I can follow your advice until step no 6 but failed in step no 7. An error message appears:

dpkg: error: cannot access archive ‘zoom_amd64.deb’ : No such file or directory

Tolkem:

An error message appears:

E: Unsupported file ./zoom_amd64.deb given on commandline

Regards,

Where did you download zoom_amd64.deb to?

f33dm3bits:

I can follow your advice until step no 6 but failed in step no 7. An error message appears:

dpkg: error: cannot access archive ‘zoom_amd64.deb’ : No such file or directory

Tolkem:

An error message appears:

E: Unsupported file ./zoom_amd64.deb given on commandline

Regards,
You have to open the terminal inside the folder you save it to just simply right click and Open Terminal Here then type in that command

Last edited by a moderator:
Explaining gdebi might be an easier route. It's one terminal command and then a GUI. This is Ubuntu, so it should immediately appear (after installation) in the right-click menu. I don't think it requires a logout.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts