Installation in Acer travelmate 8573-t6603 I3. Stuck in logo.

Balki

Reaction score
Credits
Hello Comunitiy. I have an old Acer travelmate 8573-t6603 I3 with 4gb ram. I tried to install Ubuntu, debian, Linux mint. from a Usb stick. (8gb) And always have the same problem. It stuck at the logo.
The disk is empty..no SO. In one of the distro. Debian i recall...it stop at the moment of installing the partitioner.
I download the ISO. Copy it using balenaEtcher..and plug on the other computer.
I try some solution editing the grub (nosetmode) but it didn't work.
I wish there is some way to copy the iso directly on the disk, something like the old hirens boot. but anyway...i heard opinions, of the easy way to solve this.
Thanks to everyone!

Acer travelmate 8573-t6603 I3 with 4gb ram
For a start, that is not old, just middle age, before you start, set bios boot order to usb first boot, then if it was a Windows machine,it may have had windows quick start, which needs disabling in the BIOS, usual found in power or battery]
then follow these instructions [don't mess with the partitioning, let the installer do it for you.
How Do I Install Linux (A General Guide) • Linux Tips

For a start, that is not old, just middle age, before you start, set bios boot order to usb first boot, then if it was a Windows machine,it may have had windows quick start, which needs disabling in the BIOS, usual found in power or battery]
then follow these instructions [don't mess with the partitioning, let the installer do it for you.
How Do I Install Linux (A General Guide) • Linux Tips
Yes..its not that old..but still it's a second gen. For what i want i don't care..its enough.
I alredy mess with partitioning before this one. fdisk..and more. Not afraid of that.
The bios has a password it was a leftover from a yard sale in a institution. No chance of recovery..tried different solution. no one worked. Now I m trying with MXlinux..and it looks like i have something there.
Thanks for your help.

@Balki --
Ultimate Boot CD has a utility in its BIOS section to get rid of the Administrator Password there. I have not ried it yet. It might be worth a shot.

@Brickwizard -- good link!
@Balki -- try MX's sister distro if performance is imporatnt to you -- antiX; it almost always works on older hardware.

Last edited:
For a bios forgotten password have a look here -
just another option to what @Brickwizard has posted

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly.

The bios has a password it was a leftover from a yard sale in a institution. No chance of recovery..tried different solution. no one worked.

Don't know about that exact model. But this has worked for me a couple times in the past.
Unplug the system, remove the battery. Find the BIOS/motherboard battery remove it.
Most motherboards (even laptops) have a jumper reset, sometimes a BIOS reset button.
Usually you have to hold this in for 10 seconds or something like that.

Put the batteries back in, boot up. You should have a factory re-setted system now.
Here is an example.

Find the BIOS/motherboard battery remove it.
Most motherboards (even laptops) have a jumper reset, sometimes a BIOS reset button.

^ THIS

I've never seen one without one or the other of those things. (To be fair, I haven't opened a laptop in a while, but I suspect it's still universal unless it's like a Chromebook or the likes.)

If you had mentioned this in the first post, I would have linked to the site below, being a hardware man I would automatically use the strip down method,
www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-BIOS-Password
i have tried the two options for Acer..the ones that is for 8 an 10 carachters....but this one seems to have diferent bios..is an hex number. none of the work. The internal batery must be dead because it didnt hold the time. And i cannot find any evident pin to shortcut without stripping all the pc..which i prefer not to do rigth now.

which i prefer not to do rigth now.

I'd say you're probably going to need to. The internal battery must be holding some charge, or the password would be lost every time you disconnect the power. You're gonna need to pull that, find a button, or put a jumper across two polls. That means taking the computer apart. Having it accessible by the outside would just be bad for security. It isn't meant to be easily accessed, though this is much easier in a desktop.

It's going to be a process and you're probably best off by searching to make sure you can dismantle the laptop properly, without breaking anything, and then put it back together again.

ok...finally.. I am in some path. I managed to boot a system rescue toolkit. from http://paul.is-a-geek.org/aio-srt/
It's start a lubuntu in a usb stick. I m conected to internet and i can look at the disk and the partition.
I would try differents options from here.
Do you know any tools to reset bios password via software for linux?
Thanks for the help in advance. And I m glad to be here!

Members online

Latest posts