Installation not what I expected

clust3rfck

Reaction score
Credits
I downloaded and installed Mint Via usb. I thought it would install the OS on the hard drive as per the instructions.
What I got is a hard drive that wont boot unless I have the thumb drive stuck in as well.
Is this the way it is supposed to work?
Is there a way to download it completely to the hard drive so I don't need the thumb drive in it to boot?
I have several machines I want to run some version of Linux on. Would I have to have a thumb drive for each one?
I thought once I booted to the thumb drive and hit the installer icon it would do a clean installation. Is that a false expectation?
TIA.

Hey,

What were your choices about partitions installation ?

Hey,

What were your choices about partitions installation ?
The installer created and did all that I want to think. I recall there being two check boxes ticked. One for each partition.
Mint 20.x
I have watched a couple videos on youtube about it where they made the partitions, but the installer on theirs didn't have check boxes.
I don't understand what the commands are or do on the installer videos I watched. That whole machine language thing is nearly voodoo to me and I am a little reluctant to do any of that stuff as I don't understand what the commands even are.
I am super excited that the GUI is not the DOS based headache I feared, but I see there is some of that. I am willing to learn how to use this stuff if I can decipher the commands.
I really like the point and click interface of windows. I also really like not having to spend $100 or for more for a legit copy times 4 or 5
TIA

I did that stuff. I appreciate the info. I will try it again tomorrow when I can see straight. Some of that stuff I don't understand TBH.
Like verifying the authenticity with the checksum file...
What??
If I download it from this site I expect it is authentic. Is that an unrealistic expectation?
I don't understand about the partitions but I do know how to follow instructions.
Should I uncheck the boxes for the partitions and create my own?

What did you tick ?

install type.png

If Linux Mint is the only operating system you want to run on this computer and all data can be lost on the hard drive, choose Erase disk and install Linux Mint.

With the Mint installer you don't need to type any commands since it's a graphical installer.

Members online