Installation of linux and GRUB

TENTESENST

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone! I have a small curiosity about installing linux distributions. As in the installation process, GRUB is installed, and so during boot, however, the system is asked to boot when it is in dual boot. I want to know if you know each other, a different installation mode, so that I don't need to modify the MBR of my windows. So I would like to do the following if possible. 1. install the distro on a partition, 2. install a boot loader so that accessing the BIOS I can choose to boot in order, 3. the boot continues as the Windows 10 MBR originally.

Hello everyone! I have a small curiosity about installing linux distributions. As in the installation process, GRUB is installed, and so during boot, however, the system is asked to boot when it is in dual boot. I want to know if you know each other, a different installation mode, so that I don't need to modify the MBR of my windows. So I would like to do the following if possible. 1. install the distro on a partition, 2. install a boot loader so that accessing the BIOS I can choose to boot in order, 3. the boot continues as the Windows 10 MBR originally.
Well, if I understand correctly your question, this is exactly what grub does; provides a menu so you can choose either booting Windows or Linux, is that what you're asking? Or, are you asking if is possible to have two different "grub" loaders, one for Windows and one for Linux? If that's the case, no, that's not possible.

Hope this helps! :)

the boot loader will be installed as part of the Linux distro you are installing. I think most use grub either legacy or grub 2. In my case my OS uses elilo. You dont need to go into bios for your choice; a choice should be given via a splash screen.

Basically for the grub loader to see both Windows and your new OS is either :
1) manual edit
2) use # update-grub

Also the trend is for UEFI since windows threw that into the mix. So if you look at your partitions you should see an EFI partition , windows main and reserved .

If you want Linux as well , you will most likely need a SWAP partition

Well, if I understand correctly your question, this is exactly what grub does; provides a menu so you can choose either booting Windows or Linux, is that what you're asking? Or, are you asking if is possible to have two different "grub" loaders, one for Windows and one for Linux? If that's the case, no, that's not possible.

Hope this helps! :)
So that's what I wanted. For example, when we enter the BIOS we have several choices, devices to choose from for boot, be it a cd, dvd, etc. But recently I noticed that windows and even Ubuntu, create a boot that is available to choose when starting the BIOS. But it turns out that during this process grub is installed, and I didn't want to install it, so as not to modify the current system that I use which is Windows 10 for reasons that studies and programs I use. Making an analogy the installation on the USB stick would be more or less that. Install it on a separate partition, without modifying much of the other parts, and just like on the USB stick, I boot to boot whenever I want. I'll post some pictures here later to better understand how my BIOS is doing.

Last edited:
So that's what I wanted. For example, when we enter the BIOS we have several choices, devices to choose from for boot, be it a cd, dvd, etc. But recently I noticed that windows and even Ubuntu, create a boot that is available to choose when starting the BIOS. But it turns out that during this process grub is installed, and I didn't want to install it, so as not to modify the current system that I use which is Windows 10 for reasons that studies and programs I use. Making an analogy the installation on the USB stick would be more or less that. Install it on a separate partition, without modifying much of the other parts, and just like on the USB stick, I boot to boot whenever I want. I'll post some pictures here later to better understand how my BIOS is doing.

So, do you want to dual boot Linux and Windows? Well, installing grub is mandatory, as far as I know. Maybe, what you need is install Linux in a USB drive and that way you won't have to mess around with your pc's bootloader and/or install grub in your hard disk which you'll have to if dual booting. The only thing you need to do first is disconnect your internal HDD and have two USB drives; one containing the distro you want to install and the one you're installing it on. Basically, with a few exceptions, almost any distro will install grub whether dual booting or not and no, it's not optional.

Just make sure during your Linux installation that you install grub to the MBR of the HDD of your choice.

If you don't see Windows as an option to boot into after installing Linux just open the Linux terminal and run this command as root:

sudo upgrade-grub

sudo update-grub

The next time your pc boots you should have the option to boot into whatever os you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex, I have just modified the above typo

It's sudo update-grub

Cheers

Wizard

Thanks Fellas @wizardfromoz , @Alexzee
Just did an update that include the kernel and I lost grub and couldn't quite remember the coding I knew it was update grub and threw that into terminal didn't like it, copied the above line and threw that in and now its all sweet again. :):)

I think I know what you are asking. You want to dual boot Windows and Linux but you do not want the GRUB boot loader to take over or over write your Windows boot loader. Correct? (I use two hard drives and keep Windows boot loader on one and GRUB on the other for this reason).
I'm not sure how that would be done on a single hard drive with partitions for Windows and Linux.
I do know that GRUB does NOT have to be installed in the first 512 bytes reserved for the boot loader but there probably would need to be some sort of 'pointer' to where GRUB is located.

Members online