Installation of Ubuntu 18.04 in Asus UEFI node

Miguel Espeso

Credits
I'm trying to install Ubuntu 18.04 on my Asus X556UJ laptop from USB, but the installation freezes when I decide the partitions to be made.
I have installed Ubuntu 16.04 and I am updating to 18.04 but the update lasts an eternity (4 hours).
When the installation finishes and I have to restart, the operating system breaks and the screen remains black.
I have formatted windows and Ubuntu many times in Bios mode, but it is the first time I have to do it in UEFI mode and it is giving me problems.
I have studied several ways to do it, but I can not install it with any.
Is my laptop incompatible with Ubuntu?
Should I use another Linux distribution? I use the laptop for programming.
In Asus they told me they did not know if it was compatible, but as I say, I installed 16.04 without problem.
I do not know what else to do, I'm still looking for ways to install Ubuntu in UEFI mode to get the installation. I work with the laptop and I am unable to work because I do not have an operating system.
Thank you.

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
@Miguel Espeso welcome to linux.org :) and regrets for the delay :(

1. Are you dualbooting with Windows and if so which version? Or if not, where are you writing from?
  2. I have formatted windows and Ubuntu many times in Bios mode, but it is the first time I have to do it in UEFI mode
    - was that on a different computer or the same computer? I am just wondering with the BIOS previously and the UEFI now.

3. Are your laptop's specs (specifications) similar to this?
    Asus X556UJ-XO001T
    Specifications

Asus X556UJ-XO001T (X556 Series)
    Processor
    Intel Core i7-6500U (Intel Core i7)
    Graphics adapter
    NVIDIA GeForce 920M
    Memory
    8192 MB , DDR3L SDRAM
    Display
    15.6 inch 16:9, 1366 x 768 pixel 100 PPI
    Storage
    , GB , 1000 GB HDD
    Connections
    1 USB 2.0, 1 USB 3.0 / 3.1 Gen1, 1 HDMI
    Networking
    802.11 b/g/n (b/g/n), Bluetooth 4.0
    Optical drive
    DVD +/- RW Double Layer
    Weight
    2.3 kg ( = 81.13 oz / 5.07 pounds) ( = 0 oz / 0 pounds)
  4. Do you have a USB stick or DVD with 16.04 or 18.04 on it, or a downloaded .iso for either?
  5. If the .iso, what is its exact name?
  6. With data for your programming and personal data, are you able to access them/save them via Windows?
  7. Do you have a Rescue Disk/stick for your Windows?
If you can start with answering each question as best as you can, we can work from there.

I appreciate that English may not be your first language, if that is so, then we will try to keep jargon/lingo to a minimum.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz ... that's DownUnder :D

Miguel Espeso

Credits
[QUOTE = "wizardfromoz, post: 58074, miembro: 28931"] [USER = 55491] @Miguel Espeso [/ USER] bienvenido a linux.org :)y lamenta la demora:(

1. ¿Haces doble arranque con Windows y, en caso afirmativo, qué versión? O si no, ¿de dónde estás escribiendo?
  2. - ¿Eso fue en una computadora diferente o en la misma computadora? Solo estoy preguntando con el BIOS anterior y el UEFI ahora.

3. ¿Son los requisitos de su computadora portátil similares a esta?
  4. ¿Tiene una memoria USB o un DVD con 16.04 o 18.04, o un .iso descargado para cualquiera de los dos?
  5. Si el .iso, ¿cuál es su nombre exacto?
  6. Con datos para su programación y datos personales, ¿puede acceder a ellos / guardarlos a través de Windows?
  7. ¿Tienes una disco de rescate / stick para tu Windows?
Si puedes comenzar a responder, cada pregunta lo mejor que puedes, puedes trabajar desde allí.

Aprecio que el inglés no mar su primer idioma, si eso es así, intentamos mantener la jerga / jerga al mínimo.

Aclamaciones

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz ... eso es DownUnder: RE [/ QUOTE]
Hello, thanks for answering.
1- I do not double boot, because I do not want to keep Windows, I only want Linux.
2- Install Ubuntu on other older computers, in Bios mode. In this install 16.04, but it is very slow and update is broken.
3- These are similar to my laptop.
4 -I have USB for the installation.

5 - It is ISO downloaded from the Ubuntu website. Name: unbuntu-16.04.1-desktop-amd64
And ubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-amd64
6 - I already deleted Windows 10, I just need Linux.
7 - I do not need to rescue windows, but ISO of windows 10

Thanks and sorry for not answering before, I was away from home all day.
[QUOTE = "wizardfromoz, post: 58074, member: 28931"] [USER = 55491] @Miguel Espeso [/ USER] bienvenido a linux.org :)y lamenta la demora:(

1. ¿Haces doble arranque con Windows y, en caso afirmativo, qué versión? O si no, ¿de dónde estás escribiendo?
  2. - ¿Eso fue en una computadora diferente o en la misma computadora? Solo me estoy preguntando con el BIOS anterior y el UEFI ahora.

3. ¿Son las especificaciones (especificaciones) de su computadora portátil similares a esta?
  4. ¿Tiene una memoria USB o un DVD con 16.04 o 18.04, o un .iso descargado para cualquiera de los dos?
  5. Si el .iso, ¿cuál es su nombre exacto?
  6. Con datos para su programación y datos personales, ¿puede acceder a ellos / guardarlos a través de Windows?
  7. ¿Tienes una disco de rescate / stick para tu Windows?
Si puede comenzar a responder cada pregunta lo mejor que pueda, podemos trabajar desde allí.

Aprecio que el inglés no mar su primer idioma, si eso es así, intentaremos mantener la jerga / jerga al mínimo.

Aclamaciones

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz ... eso es DownUnder: RE [/ QUOTE]
@Miguel Espeso welcome to linux.org :) and regrets for the delay :(

1. Are you dualbooting with Windows and if so which version? Or if not, where are you writing from?
  2. - was that on a different computer or the same computer? I am just wondering with the BIOS previously and the UEFI now.

3. Are your laptop's specs (specifications) similar to this?
  4. Do you have a USB stick or DVD with 16.04 or 18.04 on it, or a downloaded .iso for either?
  5. If the .iso, what is its exact name?
  6. With data for your programming and personal data, are you able to access them/save them via Windows?
  7. Do you have a Rescue Disk/stick for your Windows?
If you can start with answering each question as best as you can, we can work from there.

I appreciate that English may not be your first language, if that is so, then we will try to keep jargon/lingo to a minimum.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz ... that's DownUnder :D

Miguel Espeso

Credits
[QUOTE = "Peer, post: 58131, member: 53431"] Solo hablo Ingles! [/ QUOTE]
Sorry for the error, I use the translator and made a mistake.
I answer your questions:
Hello, thanks for answering.
1- Do not double boot, because I do not want to keep Windows, I just want Linux.
2- Install Ubuntu on other older computers, in BIOS mode. In this installation 16.04, but it is very slow and the update is broken.
3- These are similar to my laptop.
4-I have USB for installation.

5 - ISO is downloaded from the Ubuntu website. Name: unbuntu-16.04.1-desktop-amd64
and ubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-amd64
6 - I already deleted Windows 10, I just need Linux.
7 - I do not need to rescue windows, but Windows 10 ISO

arochester

Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
Ultrabook Asus VivoBook X556UJ is fully compatible with the operating system Linux.
Source - http://www.driversfree.org/en/drive...x556uj-download-drivers-for-windows-10-64-bit

Case when Ubuntu must be installed in UEFI mode
Having a PC with UEFI firmware does not mean that you need to install Ubuntu in UEFI mode. What is important is below:

• if the other systems (Windows Vista/7/8, GNU/Linux...) of your computer are installed in UEFI mode, then you must install Ubuntu in UEFI mode too.
  • if the other systems (Windows, GNU/Linux...) of your computer are installed in Legacy (not-UEFI) mode, then you must install Ubuntu in Legacy mode too. Eg if your computer is old (<2010), is 32bits, or was sold with a pre-installed Windows XP.

• if Ubuntu is the only operating system on your computer, then it does not matter whether you install Ubuntu in UEFI mode or not.
Source- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

You do not need and can turn off UEFI

Disabling SecureBoot in the BIOS ... To disable or enable Secure Boot, find a similar option in your BIOS, and use the keyboard to switch it to Enabled/Disabled.
If you have removed Windows you do not need to make any Partitions. Just tell Ubuntu, when it asks, to use the whole disk.

Miguel Espeso

Credits

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits

Miguel Espeso

Credits
It is only one of the steps that are described in the article that my colleagues show me to install Ubuntu in UEFI mode: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI, I must deactivate (SRT) Intel Smart Response Technology but not I meet in my bios.
I think I'll have to resort to the help of a professional to install Ubuntu on my Asus https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/X456UA/0C0A_S10295_X456U_X556U_A.pdf
Thank you for your support and forgive the inconvenience that could result when trying to fix my Ubuntu installation.

Members online