Installation

K

Kedabra

During the installation on most Linux distros, it asks you to set password, login name, & real name. Is there any overpowering reason to give your real name? Also, it later asks you to set the time--any big reason to give the right time, instead of using another timezone?

During the installation on most Linux distros, it asks you to set password, login name, & real name. Is there any overpowering reason to give your real name? Also, it later asks you to set the time--any big reason to give the right time, instead of using another timezone?
Most installers only ask for a real name for professional reasons. If you enter a fake name, most distros won't care. Some don't even ask.

Time is very important for updates. Most package managers use timesone information to help verify downloads are working correctly. It is best to use the timezone you are currently in.

Let me put a question back to you ---is there be any good reason not to give your name and timezone to your computer? You are not giving that information to other people.

O.K., call yourself Donald Duck and say that you live in Japan. We won't know that. ... But your computer will tell you the wrong time...

Is this just a lingering convention from this stuff coming out of Companies or Colleges? I mean I see this on FreeBSD to. Especially when creating a new user account where it asks for your Room number or other contact info.

Most installers only ask for a real name for professional reasons. If you enter a fake name, most distros won't care. Some don't even ask.

Time is very important for updates. Most package managers use timesone information to help verify downloads are working correctly. It is best to use the timezone you are currently in.

Members online