Installing a fingerprint reader on a Linux (Mint21) desktop computer

It would be a good idea to have Timeshift enabled...saving a few snapshots to an external hard drive, when the system is running as it should.

It could also be worthwhile to open System Reports.
Thanks again. I am using Timeshift regularly. Saved me a number of times ....

Silly question...maybe.....

Have you used 'Grub Customizer'...?
Hmmm, good question. Used that some years ago to get a nice pic on the start screen and larger font for the text. Since then I have done a lot of reconfiguration, added new HD etc. The configuration seems lost, I don't get the background picture anymore .
Do you think I could use that to repair the grub-efi issue?

Try again holding the f1 key instead

Do Not use grub customizer. If you do use it you do so at your own risk.

Unless you have done a complete clean install since then it will still be taking effect.

It is an OS destroyer.

Timeshift.
if you have a timeshift snapshot taken prior to your problems starting.....Restore it.

By that I mean prior to your update problems starting

Do Not use grub customizer. If you do use it you do so at your own risk.

Unless you have done a complete clean install since then it will still be taking effect.

It is an OS destroyer.
Thanks for that! I have been looking around a little and start wondering about my partitions: On my main drive I have 4 partitions, boot, root or system, home and swap. I don't have an EFI partition, there is only an Efi folder in the boot partition. So maybe that's why the grub-efi says it cannot mount the Efi partition? Next question: Does this boot partition have to be FAT (on this drive I formated the first three to ext4, the last to swap. Is the 'Efi partition not mountable because of that?

This is territory I am somewhat unsure of......however, the efi partition on my pc is FAT (32-bit-version0

click on menu and type in disks ......that should show the hard drive etc.....it will show the parttiions......and what type they are etc

In setting my pc up.....I simply chose my 250 GB M.2 drive.....and ticked the box for wiping that drive and installing Linux Mint 21

......and just allowed the installer to do tha hard work of deciding how to set up partitions etc.

It works. Beautifully

1670281501453.png

Feel like a Clean Install ?

For some weeks now I get an error response when I do Software updates. At the end it tells me
dpkg: error processing package grub-efi-amd64-signed (--configure):
"installed grub-efi-amd64-signed-script of package post-installation"-below
rprocess returned error value 32
Errors occurred while editing:
grub-efi-amd64-signed

That is the reason I suggest a clean install.(highlighted). If you have a Timeshift snapshot going back before this started to happen, you may be in luck

This thread has certainly "progressed' from installing a fingerprint reader, @wizardfromoz

When the pc is rebooting hold down the Shift key.....that should bring up the grub menu.

It's the Shift key for BIOS only, if the OP has UEFI it is the Esc (escape) key.

Wiz

(on this drive I formated the first three to ext4, the last to swap. Is the 'Efi partition not mountable because of that?

That sounds like the OP is using BIOS/MBR.

Don't mind me, just brainstorming out loud.

This is territory I am somewhat unsure of......however, the efi partition on my pc is FAT (32-bit-version0

click on menu and type in disks ......that should show the hard drive etc.....it will show the parttiions......and what type they are etc

In setting my pc up.....I simply chose my 250 GB M.2 drive.....and ticked the box for wiping that drive and installing Linux Mint 21

......and just allowed the installer to do tha hard work of deciding how to set up partitions etc.

It works. Beautifully

View attachment 14131

Feel like a Clean Install ?
Thanks for all the helpful ideas. (I went to bed, was getting late in Greece where I live).
Seems I will have to consider a clean install. I'm pushing that notion away because I have a huge home partition and also I have installed really many programs. ...
And in a way, my system works.
But I guess we can stop this thread here now. I don't get any further with my initial fingerprint topic.
So thanks again!

That's unfortunate, but we understand.

If we find anything else, we will come back to this, and if you can do the same, that would be good. :)

Wizard

@JowivK :-

Rather than a fingerprint reader, you might be just as well off with a hardware 2FA "key". Something like this:-

Way less messing around than trying to get a fingerprint reader working under Linux......much of which boils down to 'is the device supported in the kernel'?

Mike. ;)

@JowivK :-

Rather than a fingerprint reader, you might be just as well off with a hardware 2FA "key". Something like this:-

Way less messing around than trying to get a fingerprint reader working under Linux......much of which boils down to 'is the device supported in the kernel'?

Mike. ;)
Great idea. Thanks. The combination with a password manager looks really promising. But who says that these work with Linux?

Google

linux Yubico YubiKey 5 NFC

and you will see :)

Mike is our local authority on Puppy Linux, and he wouldn't steer you wrong.

Wizard

Hello,
I would like to make my own private usb-security key like the ones made by Yubico for keeping my laptop safe and secure.
I have found several ways but none of them are for use on Linux systems.
Can someone help me out or at least point me in the right direction?

I searched online without succes.

(I hope i'm not being cursed for placing my question here. I'm not yet familiar with the way things work here. Newbee.. srry :cool: )

Staff online

Members online