Installing "cactus" software and getting input file to run within it

R

Richardsmith1992

I am a newbie to Linux and I am only really using it to use a program for my final year thesis. I have got to grips with the language for the program but am having issues with actually running it in Linux. The program is called "CACTUS" and all documentation can be found at Sandia Cactus on google.

I have extracted the application file and I have made the executable as instructed in the "install.txt" file:

"Installation of CACTUS for Linux or Mac machines.

1. Unzip the directory and put in desired location. On terminal cd into the correct directory (you should be able to see the makefiles).

2. Create the executable by typing: $make or $make -f Makefile.gfortran on the terminal. The executable will be called 'cactus' and be located in the directory one level above.You can add the executable's location to your path so that you can call it by simple typing 'cactus' on the terminal instead of the complete path.

3. cd into the Test/RegTest directory $cd ./Test/RegTest and run the RegTest by executing runreg.py with the path to the CACTUS executable as an argument (or just the name of the executable if you added it to your path). $./runreg.py ../../../cactus or $./runreg.py cactus The output should say 'No differences' for all three tests. Note: if you have Python 3 installed used runreg_p3.py instead.
CONGRATULATIONS! You have successfully installed CACTUS."

I have run this and I didn't get the "No Differences" returned on the runreg.py. I continued anyway as I did not know why or how I could fix this. (This may be a root cause of my overally problem here)

As I progressed I have been trying to open an input file "TestVAWT.in" from TestCase2 with the following command:

./TestVAWT.in ../../../cactus

From this I get the error in the title returned. Am I correct in assuming that it has tried to run the TestVAWT.in file on the command line without referring to the Cactus application which I presume would be able to read the '&' prefix of the code along with the rest of the input file. Or is it something else I am missing here.

I would appreciate any help as I have been banging my head against a wall for some time now.

Note: I am using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Best Regards

Richard

Get into root for the installation:

su

(and enter password at prompt) After untarring there will be an install file in the directory; execute this:

Code:
 ./install

select install the compiler and use the default answers to the questions. As directed by the e-mail, the license files must be moved to the license directory:

Code:
 mv (licensefile) /opt/intel/licenses/

after which you can exit root

exit

You will need to alter a configuration file to specify the path to the compilers. The following should be added to the .bash_profile file (this file is probably in your home directory; there may be additional files with this name that do not need to be changed):

######## Intel compilers ########
Code:
export IA32ROOT=/opt/intel/compiler60/ia32
export PATH=${PATH}:${IA32ROOT}/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${IA32ROOT}/lib
export INTEL_FLEXLM_LICENSE=/opt/intel/licenses
export PATH=${PATH}:/opt/intel/compiler60/ia32/bin/
###LAM ssh protocol 1 ###
export LAMRSH="ssh -1"export

You may test each compiler with a simple "hello world" program. For those not familiar with one or another of these languages, an example for C++ is:

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
main()
{
  printf("hello world");
  return 0;
}

and an example for FORTRAN is:

Code:
  PROGRAM hello
  WRITE (*,*) 'hello world'
  STOP
  END

Note that each line must begin with six blank spaces for some FORTRAN versions. Consult a textbook or reference source for details on these languages. To compile these test programs, the following commands will work if you have successfully specified the paths:

Code:
 ifc fortest.f
icc ctest.c

where fortest.f and ctest.c are the files for the FORTRAN and C++ test programs, respectively. Each command will generate a compiled version a.out (which will overwrite any existing a.out file!) To run this, enter:

./a.out

which should in each case display

hello world

An error message on compile complaining that ifc or icc is unknown may indicate that the path is not specified. The commands

Code:
/opt/intel/compiler60/ia32/ifc fortest.f
/opt/intel/compiler60/ia32/icc ctest.c

modified for the appropriate location will override the default location (from the .bash_profile file) and compile each test program.

Members online

Latest posts