Installing CentOS On An External HDD

NHS

Reaction score
Credits
Hello People.

I'm new in the Linux world and I would like to install CentOs version 7 on external HDD. I have created Linux bootable thumb drive using CentOs.
I have windows 10 OS already install on my laptop. I have external HDD of segate on which I want to install Linux. Can any one help me with the easier method and the step by step for install CentOs SO in the external HDD please?

Thanks!!!!

G'day @NHS and thanks for taking my advice to start a new Thread :)

install CentOs version 7 on external HDD

You could start by telling us which .iso you downloaded and burned.

For example

CentOS-7-x86_64-LiveKDE-1804.iso

I have created Linux bootable thumb drive using CentOs.

Have you tried booting with it yet, and does it work?

I have external HDD of segate on which I want to install Linux.

What size is the Seagate? for example, 1TB, 2TB, other? Is there anything else on the Seagate, and is it formatted, if so, to what type of file system?

Do you have a Recovery solution or backup for your Windows?

These are just a few questions you should look at answering, for starters.

I use many Linux, but I do not have CentOS experience, I have Fedora, though, a little similar.

Others here with more CentOS experience may drop by, I hope.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hi @wizardfromoz, Thanks for the tips and help.

The iso image that you downloaded was:

CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-1804​

and I have tried it on some computers and it works, in fact I have already installed CentOs on a computer with windows 10 and I have configured it to have a dual boot, however, at this time I suggested the need to install CentOs on a hard drive external.

The external hard drive is 1 tb and this new one, I really do not know with what format it comes from the factory.

As for the backup of windows 10 I can do it.

Thank you again @wizardfromoz . Greetings.

You dont really mind the format, you will need to create partitions anyway.

Why do you want to use it as a bare metal os and not a Vm ?

CentOs is by default a bit more server oriented than Fedora, and you will have access to all the features trough the vm without to have to part your Hard drive.

G'day to both of you folks :)

@NHS - Mate how much RAM (memory) do you have, eg 8GB, 16GB or other?

Wiz

Hi!. @tchakatak and @wizardfromoz
I want to connect several computers with a Linux operating system to create a cluster, so if I install Linux in virtual machines, I would be occupying only the resources of one machine and not the resources of several.

I have several machines with Windows 10 operating system and each of them has information that users accustomed to windows occupy, I would like to use these machines to connect them in a cluster, however, I do not want to take too much time to format them and I have taken the idea of install Linux on an external disk so that it can be installed on several external disks and, consequently, on several machines.

Note: I have some old machines where I could practice the procedure of installing Linux on an external disk. All machines are 8 GB RAM.

Hi @tchakatak,

That's right, I want to have a network in which I can make use of all the resources of the computers.

The purpose of having a cluster is because in my work it is often necessary to perform data analysis and recently the amount of data to analyze is growing significantly and the programs take a long time to show the results, in this way a cluster for Analyzing Big Data is almost mandatory.

Beyond my paygrade currently, @NHS :D

I'll watch and learn :eek:

Good luck

Wiz

Members online