Installing Fedora 36 with separate "\home": Should I use which FileSystem, ext4 or btrfs ?

LucasWitzel

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, I intend to install Fedora Workstation 36 with a separate home partition. I have a 120GB SSD, a 1TB HDD, and 8GB RAM, so I am thinking of doing the partitioning as follows:

SDD:
\efi (± 500MB)
\ (the rest)

HDD:
\swap (± 4GB)
\home (1TB)

(swap is on HDD because Fedora uses now zram, so it's just by precaution)

I know how to do the procedure itself, but I'm not sure how to select the filesystem format for the partitions. In Fedora's installer, for efi, I select "EFI System Partition"; for swap, it's just "swap"; but for root and \home I don't know if I should select "ext4" or "btrfs".

I know Fedora uses "btrfs" by default, but "ext4" should be more solid since it's older, and in several tutorials I found on the internet, they used "ext4", but I'm not sure because it's not the distro's default option. So I was wondering if anyone could help me make this decision; like, if I let "btrfs", will i have any problems or bugs, since it's newer ? But if I use "ext4", will there be any compatibility problems?

My main goal is functionality and stability on a daily basis, not speed necessarily.

Some information about my pc in case it helps:
SSD: 120GB
HDD: 1TB
RAM: 8GB
Processor: Intel i5-8300H 2.30 GHz
x64-based
UEFI

Sorry if the question isn't clear enough, but thank you very much for everyone's attention.

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I know Fedora uses "btrfs" by default, but "ext4" should be more solid since it's older, and in several tutorials I found on the internet, they used "ext4", but I'm not sure because it's not the distro's default option. So I was wondering if anyone could help me make this decision; like, if I let "btrfs", will i have any problems or bugs, since it's newer ? But if I use "ext4", will there be any compatibility problems?
I run Fedora 36 and use btrfs, it works great and I haven't had any issues. I did read somewhere that btrfs still does not support some setups and certain raid types, I think I read that in the btrfs wiki somewhere. As for desktop use it's my new favorite filesystem to use on the desktop.

OP
L

LucasWitzel

Reaction score
Credits
I run Fedora 36 and use btrfs, it works great and I haven't had any issues. I did read somewhere that btrfs still does not support some setups and certain raid types, I think I read that in the btrfs wiki somewhere. As for desktop use it's my new favorite filesystem to use on the desktop.
Ok, I think I will give btrfs a try. Thank you!

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Linux.org Hosting Donations
Consider making a donation

Staff online

Members online