Installing Games on Linux

They're never gonna admit it officially (either one of the companies) because that would mean Microsoft admitting they're moving their plan to destroy linux on schedule.
At least now he can be sure every key stroke of his is not logged and sent to the slave master.
I'm not dissing anyone.
Ubuntu isn't Microsoft or Windows

Okay, but rado84...your mind seems to be filled with these wild conspiracy theories related to both Canonical and Microsoft. Microsoft cannot destroy linux, Bill Gates and the Power Devs at Microsoft know this. I think you are actually trying to diss somebody. We get it, you use Arch, you are a power gamer on arch, you are very smart...then why isn't that good enough for you? How is Canonical my slave master when I haven't payed them jack for their software? I haven't payed them jack particularly because they haven't been very useful in helping me understand their software, and i see no reason to pay them anything when the machines they program are extraordinarily expensive. I have donated a little money to this website though, because it has been a huge breath of fresh of air in this cold linux universe, AND people here are always willing to inform me about things in exchange just for me being mostly polite and respectful.

So Canonical and linux.org have collected information about me...am i just some hopeless idiot who's fighting all these slave masters in a cosmic drama?! If Ubuntu has installed a keylogger on my distribution, then please, i'd like to know about it, tell me where the file is so i may uninstall immediately.

Well, you're all free to live in your perfect pink world. But don't say I didn't warn you when Microshit decide it's time to reveal their true intentions. It may happen in 5 years, or 10, or even 20 but it will. Clearly you haven't been listening carefully lately when the executive director of MS (not Bill Gates, the other guy, darker in the skin, I think he's from India) said what their intentions were regarding Linux and Windows, shortly after the thick lie that "MS loves Linux" came out.
Those of us who can read between the lines will be safe from MS' reach. Those who can't, well... use your imagination.

Last year when the news of new strains of Covid popped up for the first time, I said (not on this forum) the virus was created in a lab (bc logic suggests so) and released on purpose to test it in real life environment and many people, including one engineer, a supposedly educated person, told me the same - conspiracy theories, they said I was nuts and what not. Guess what was officially confirmed by scientits less than a month ago...
icon_lol.gif

conspiracy theories, they said I was nuts and what not. Guess what was officially confirmed by scientits less than a month ago...
icon_lol.gif
People have actually been repeating that for years and so far absolutely no evidence has surfaced to either confirm nor deny that theory

People have actually been repeating that for years and so far absolutely no evidence has surfaced to either confirm nor deny that theory
LEt me give you a material for thinking and that will be the last post of mine in this topic. Evolution causes mutations in viruses but the evolution is a slow process that takes thousands of years. We heard about 3 new mutations in less than 2 years. Can you think logically? I can.

LEt me give you a material for thinking and that will be the last post of mine in this topic.
No. I can use a keyboard too, remember that.
Evolution causes mutations in viruses but the evolution is a slow process that takes thousands of years. We heard about 3 new mutations in less than 2 years. Can you think logically? I can.
A simple organism such as a virus evolves constantly...so do humans, yet the changes take longer to be noticeable because humans do not understand evolution completely.

It's not about whether Microsoft has shares in Canonical or not so to say. It's about that here on the forums @rado84 keeps comparing Ubuntu to Windows because Microsoft has some say in what happens with Ubuntu. It's dissing/lowering another distribution and the whole dissing/lowering another distribution or user who uses a specific distribution brings negativity around the Linux community and adds to the toxicity that already exists around the Linux community.

Does Microsoft really have a say in Canonical's Ubuntu? I know they worked together on bringing Ubuntu to WSL, .Net 6, etc but it seems more like Microsoft is trying to attract more folks to use Windows tech across different platforms, but I guess you never know the influence Microsoft can have on Canonical, I just don't believe that Microsoft is trying to do anything to Linux other than try and capitalize on its successes.

Microsoft is one of the biggest contributors to the kernel. Microsoft is a member of the Linux Foundation.

Microsoft is a Platinum Member, the highest level of membership. That doesn't mean Microsoft will get its way in all things, but it does mean their voice will be heard and considered.
That's very interesting, as a Ubuntu user i actually see that as a good thing because then i don't need to pay for it...thank you microsoft, if only you could becomes entirely open source instead of doing "charity drives", those are kinda are probably disastrous anyway for the third worlders you try to help....

I've been wanting to experiment with the anti-systemd and arch distros yet what i have does everything i need both for my creative hobbies and daily driver. Experimenting with bare metal distros would be a little less time demanding if i were knowledgeable enough to back up my files in some cloud space with automated scripts...

Microsoft is a Platinum Member, the highest level of membership. That doesn't mean Microsoft will get its way in all things, but it does mean their voice will be heard and considered.

Yup. It's not some giant conspiracy, it's that Microsoft makes a butt-ton of money from Linux with things like Azure. Back in the day, Hotmail ran on Unix until 2004. I suspect parts of their own internal (and public facing) devices run Linux.

VSCode is considered one of the best free code editors out there. How long has .NET been available for Linux users? I don't even know, but it has been there (and widely used) for years now.

If it's some sort of conspiracy, then it's cartoonishly bad 'cause they haven't managed to take over anything yet. With Microsoft being involved, they're making things easier for themselves as that means they can collaborate with others in the sphere. It's perfectly good business sense.

Microsoft is still Microsoft, and like every other vendor on the planet, they want people using Microsoft products. They won the desktop war 30-odd years ago, maybe earlier. So, they don't do things like have WSL because they love Linux, they do it because they want to let people use Linux without ditching Windows. Again, that's perfectly good business sense.

Well, you're all free to live in your perfect pink world. But don't say I didn't warn you when Microshit decide it's time to reveal their true intentions. It may happen in 5 years, or 10, or even 20 but it will. Clearly you haven't been listening carefully lately when the executive director of MS (not Bill Gates, the other guy, darker in the skin, I think he's from India) said what their intentions were regarding Linux and Windows, shortly after the thick lie that "MS loves Linux" came out.
Those of us who can read between the lines will be safe from MS' reach. Those who can't, well... use your imagination.

Last year when the news of new strains of Covid popped up for the first time, I said (not on this forum) the virus was created in a lab (bc logic suggests so) and released on purpose to test it in real life environment and many people, including one engineer, a supposedly educated person, told me the same - conspiracy theories, they said I was nuts and what not. Guess what was officially confirmed by scientits less than a month ago...
icon_lol.gif

LEt me give you a material for thinking and that will be the last post of mine in this topic. Evolution causes mutations in viruses but the evolution is a slow process that takes thousands of years. We heard about 3 new mutations in less than 2 years. Can you think logically? I can.

Does the flu and common cold not evolve every year and the point that life evolves when it needs to. Like how covid evolved because of the vaccinations and that is a fact most people miss they call vaccines ineffective or they will put microchips in you but its because it needs to evolve to survive. Just like how Microsoft is investing in linux.

Last edited:
Does the flu and common cold not evolve every year and the point that life evolves when it needs to. Like how covid evolved because of the vaccinations and that is a fact most people miss they call vaccines ineffective or they will put microchips in you but its because it needs to evolve to survive. Just like how Microsoft is doing linux.
Thats actually a great comparison...linux and microsoft, as tools of flesh-and-blood organisms, will act in a similar way to viruses because they are human organizations to put it most broadly...organizations have a mind of their own, in some ways the more puritanical ways of looking at linux (debian, anti-x) are beautiful in their own way, but don't bother trying to argue with anyone why the distro you use is the best one.

Gentlemen (and ladies of course),
You need calm down. This is getting out of hand!

I wanted to make this post to try and help other folks with their gaming setup as it seems like this is still somewhat challenging for new users. I guess you can also say that this post is kind of inspired by the recent Linus Tech Tips Linux challenge, specifically around gaming.

This post is not intended to be an exact instruction set on how to set everything up. Many folks use different distributions, different hardware, etc so there might some differences in the way that some of the packages are installed and/or configured.

**But for the most part, these steps are pretty universal and should work on most Linux distributions if done correctly**

Prerequisites:

Nvidia Drivers (GPU) - Install through Package Manager, this is quite important for nvidia GPUs, you'd need to install proprietary drivers.

AMD Drivers (GPU) - If you're using an AMD GPU, the drivers (mesa) should be integrated in the kernel so you don't need to install anything. Although really old AMD GPUs, might need drivers (I believe it is for GPUs 7+ years old)

Linux Updates - Make sure to always have the latest up to date OS before installing any apps.

Gaming Clients and Apps:

ProtonDB - Before even starting the install process, I highly recommend to go to protondb.com and look to see if the game you're trying to play is actually supported with Proton on Linux. Usually you will get folks on that website to give feedback on how well the game runs as well as their respective PC setup to give you an idea of what they're running.

Wine (staging - Install through Package Manger) - Wine is a big part of the gaming setups on Linux, specifically for games like Wow, FF14, etc all rely on Wine to work properly. For those that dont know, Wine is just a way of running Windows games in Linux. Wine is not an emulation layer, it just translates API calls. I highly recommend to install Wine staging to get the latest updates.

ProtonGE - This next app is VERY helpful in getting games to work smoothly. You can download a custom version of Proton that is tweaked and optimised for various games. I suggest using a combination of ProtonDB + ProtonGE to check and use Proton specific version depending on the game you're running. It could happen that one version of Proton runs better for a specific game, while another version of Proton, runs other games better. The trick is to use ProtonDB site to see what other users are using for the game, and then you can try yourself to see if that works for you. From my experience, this has always been very helpful and cuts down on the time of trial and error. Installation Instructions (https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom)

Lutris (Install through Package Manger) - This is an app that I use on my Linux install, it is used to aggregate all your games into one location as well as using the Lutris site, you can run scripts that will automate the install of your games and then integrate with Wine/Proton so that you can tweak and launch games. I use Lutris myself and highly recommend it if you plan on playing games outside of Steam. If you're only using Steam, it is not needed.

Steam - is one of the main gaming clients you can install on Linux today. Steam runs out of the box and it is very easy to install. You will need to configure Steam for Steam Play in order to use Proton to play Steam games. Most of the Steam games work with Proton, but might need some tweaks to get it to work. Make sure to Enable Steam Play for all other titles and Steam play for supported titles and then reboot Steam.

Heroic Game Launcher - This is the open source version of the Epic Game Launcher but not built by epic, but by the community. If you play games on the Epic Launcher, you can use this Launcher to play your games. This Launcher supports both Wine and Proton.

Origin Client - Through Lutris, you are able to download the Origin game client If you have some EA games that do not require EAC, this is a good way to play EA Games.

Ubisoft Client - Through Lutris, you are able to download the Ubisoft game client. If you have some Uplay games that do not require EAC, this is a good way to play Ubisoft Games.

Battle.net Client - Through Lutris, you are able to download the Battle.net game client. If you have some Battle.net games that do not require EAC, this is a good way to play Battl.net Games.

PlayOnLinux: I personally did not try PoL, but from what I can see, it is similar to Lutris, basically a front end to Wine, and like Lutris, it supposed to simplify the process of installing games in Linux.

Troubleshooting game install:

It could happen that from time to time, when you install a game, it just does not run well for you. Most of the time, this is not because of Linux, but because you are either missing some packages or maybe you need to tweak your game setup.

Missing Packages, games don't run - This is a common one I find, because in Linux, even though we think we installed everything, there might be a scenario where we're missing some packages, for example, you can install Wine, but then you might also need some of the other dependencies, such as wine-gecko and wine-mono where some games might require these packages to function correctly. Always make sure you're following the steps outlined in the documentation, such as in this article here for Arch Linux (https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/wine)

Games run sluggish and stuttering - if the games themselves are slow and/or stuttering, from my experience, this was mostly related to the Proton version that I am using, so most of the time, going on ProtonDB and looking at the comments for a game can give you an indication on which version of Proton to use. Of course, this is not the only thing that can cause sluggish game performance. Another example could be related to the Desktop Environment that you're using. For example, when I was using KDE, I had to tweak the compositor and opengl settings to make things work better, but this is something that does not happen often. Most of the time, you can fix this by using a different Proton version or sticking with the Wine staging version.

Another issue with sluggish games could be that you have older and outdated drivers which is why it is important to keep your OS up to date with the latest drivers.

Games have Low FPS - I ran into this issue most of the time and it is usually related to things like v-sync where if it is enabled, your games will run at an FPS that is supported by your GPU/Monitor and so in a lot of cases, you might see games running at 60 FPS even though you know you can run these games at 100+ FPS. To fix this, you can disable vsync, but if you start getting tearing in your games, you might have to enable it. I use a GSync monitor so I dont really on vsync for my games.

NOTE: Please note that at the moment, most games that require some Anti-Cheat software do not work well in Linux. Recently there has been some announcements made around providing support for Anti-Cheat software in Proton, but until the game developers enable support for Linux, at the moment, EAC games don't work under Linux. Some of these games are New World, Call of Duty, BF, etc.

Here's a screenshot of the Lutris app installed on my machine with some of the games I play. After following the instructions above, all my games run pretty smooth with 100+ FPS and graphics are either high / very high / ultra.

My Linux distribution is EndeavourOS which is an Arch Linux derivative. But this should also work in Fedora, Manjaro, Ubuntu, Debian, Garuda, MX, Mint, etc.

View attachment 11079
Do you think its possible to play BF1 on Linux using Origin in Lutris and Steam?

Great guide I will be reading this again and again.

Members online