Installing Linux Mint Dual boot problems

mralex

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone,

I couldn't find the answer to my question in the sticky but I'm having problems installing Linux Mint(dual boot) on a Windows laptop. It doesn't show me the total space when installing Mint and I have no idea what to do at Installation Type since it also shows 0MB of the HDD being used. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Onlyfractionfreespace.png
    Onlyfractionfreespace.png
    232.9 KB · Views: 344
  • freespace.png
    freespace.png
    311.3 KB · Views: 311
  • whatnow.png
    whatnow.png
    231 KB · Views: 285

what does gParted show from a live Linux OS booted from usb ?

windows 10 takes circa 30 gig for install maybe + 50 gig ? for updates/software it looks like circa 400 gig has been used on /dev/sda3 which doesn't make sense to me

It looks to me like you need to shrink a partition and make some room for the Mint install.
Probably /dev/sda3. Partitions /dev/sda4,5,&6 look to be vendor specific and a Windows Recovery partitions. /dev/sda3 looks like the main Windows OS partition. There is some free space there although not a lot. You can shrink the partition to make room for Mint and format it with the ext4 file system.

A word of warning though; when resizing, moving, formatting, etc. partitions there is a NOT small risk of catastrophic failure. You may want to be sure you have everything backed up and have your installation media handy. If you have not created your Windows 10 install media yet, now would be a good time :)

Well, I made a big mistake, I shrank the partition and formatted it without creating Windows 10 install media(I did however back up my important docs). After installing and restarting, it didn't want to boot neither Windows(it doesn't see it, don't get the option) or Mint. The only thing that worked is booting from USB. So here I am trying to install it allover again and I get Libparted error when trying Gparted. And the installer stays at Multimedia codecs. What's next? :)

Attachments

• Libparted error.png
    Libparted error.png
    229 KB · Views: 310
After restarting, Onekey recovery activated. Going to see if it fixes the problem

OneKey only formatted my HDD, didn't fix the issue. I had to boot the Linux OS from USB, wait 1 hour before I could get to Installation Type. There I chose Something Else, had to delete sda3 and put space into root, swap, home and EFI system partition. And now installation is working.

I've gotten this error during installation. Searching the net for answers

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    197.8 KB · Views: 298
If Linux Mint is running really well right now........Take a Timeshift snapshot .....if something goes south further down the track, that snapshot will save your bacon !..(and a lot of stress)

I am assuming you are running Linux Mint 20 ??.....Timeshift will be in the Software Manager...(click on menu...type in software manager......then search there for time,eshift)

or...timeshift may already may be installed....click on menu and type in timeshift

Save the snapshot to an external hard drive (or a biggish USB stick)

Questions.....just ask.

I made a Timeshift snapshot. I still see a flash of a black screen showing some errors when restarting. But what's bothering me is my download speed. It's so low compared to what I got when I was running Windows. On my phone wifi using speedtest, I get 48.01 Mbps, on my laptop wifi, I get 3.02 Mbps max. Does anyone know what I can do?

System:
Kernel: 5.4.0-58-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.7 Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 80QQ v: Lenovo ideapad 100-15IBD
serial: <filter>
Mobo: LENOVO model: Nano 5B6 v: SDK0J40700 WIN serial: <filter>
UEFI: LENOVO v: E0CN16WW date: 08/04/2015
Battery:
ID-1: BAT0 charge: 22.5 Wh condition: 22.5/31.7 Wh (71%)
model: Lenovo IdeaPad status: Full
CPU:
Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-5200U bits: 64 type: MT MCP
arch: Broadwell rev: 4 L2 cache: 3072 KiB
flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
bogomips: 17560
Speed: 798 MHz min/max: 500/2700 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 799 2: 799
3: 798 4: 798
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 5500 vendor: Lenovo driver: i915 v: kernel
bus ID: 00:02.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 5500 (BDW GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.8
direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: Intel Broadwell-U Audio vendor: Lenovo driver: snd_hda_intel
v: kernel bus ID: 00:03.0
Device-2: Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio vendor: Lenovo
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-58-generic
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet vendor: Lenovo
driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 4000 bus ID: 02:00.0
IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Device-2: Realtek RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Lenovo
driver: rtl8723be v: kernel port: 3000 bus ID: 03:00.0
IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 20.84 GiB (2.2%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Toshiba model: MQ01ABD100 size: 931.51 GiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 22.79 GiB used: 10.27 GiB (45.1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3
ID-2: /home size: 853.98 GiB used: 10.56 GiB (1.2%) fs: ext4
dev: /dev/sda6
ID-3: swap-1 size: 14.90 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 42.0 C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
Processes: 203 Uptime: 11m Memory: 7.69 GiB used: 1.52 GiB (19.7%)
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17
inxi: 3.0.38

Attachments

• htop.png
    htop.png
    232.4 KB · Views: 244
I turned off the power management, Wifi is between 8-10Mbps now.

G'day @mralex - if that is satisfactory to you for now, take another Timeshift snapshot (it will be incremental, unless you choose to wipe the first and perform a 2nd complete one) and use the comments field to describe your wifi speed or something descriptive.

The snapshots are hard-linked so that that one is the one you could choose if you needed to restore to where you are now.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online

Latest posts