Installing Linux on an iMac

Abcent

Reaction score
Credits
Will this allow dual booting of OS X and Deepin or will this completely overwrite OS X leaving you with Deepin as the sole OS remaining on the harddrive?

Would you still recommend Deepin 15.11, a newer release or something else?

OP
Jarret B

Jarret B

Staff member
Reaction score
Credits
INstalling DeepIn will make it the only OS. Everything will be erased before the OS install. I know that Deepin 15.11 works (with a few exceptions of some hardware), but you can try a newer one and see if it works. If something does work better, please comment again and let us know.

Thanks

Fanboi

Reaction score
Credits
Well explained. I think even newbies should have no issues.
1921x1200 resolution... trust Apple, lol.
Never used Deepin, very pretty out the box and must be light-mid to run on those specs. I'm impressed.
Hopefully this article will encourage people to repurpose their old Macs and reduce e-waste.

Abcent

Reaction score
Credits
INstalling DeepIn will make it the only OS. Everything will be erased before the OS install. I know that Deepin 15.11 works (with a few exceptions of some hardware), but you can try a newer one and see if it works. If something does work better, please comment again and let us know.

Thanks

I appreciate your response and have a few more questions.

Would the computer still respond to start up key commands? Would it be possible for me to use the install disc(I am only using etched ISOs on USB sticks in these scenarios but for this purpose they function exactly the same as the optical media that I don't physically possess) that came with the Mac to now reinstall MacOS 10.5 back and fully over Deepin 15.11(would that be whole hard drive?) and then install MacOS 10.6(taking the 10.6.8 combo OTA) and at that point set the Mac up to dual boot this distro of Linux?

This is my first real dive into a Linux project and I thank you for your time and patience. I was at a dead end until I found you. So this is pretty new territory for me and it it's very exciting!! Which is why I had no idea even though it was self explanatory that I was writing over the "whole drive". What a rush!

I had intended to take the computer up to it's native end of life MacOS, keep the native MacOS and give it dual boot ability for Deepin 15.11, if at all possible. If that isn't feasible I am still very satisfied with the performance or should I say the ability to even preform at all that Deepin has given the computer and if this is where it sits, this is where it will sit. =)

<3<3<3

If things go well I might test a higher version Deepin distro. I could not get the most recent distro(20.2.4) to be reconginzed after etching to USB. I tried freshly re-etching, attempted the process again and I did this 3 separate times. It was never recognizable to the Mac during start-up. I then searched for Deepin 15.11 and was able to locate it on distrowatch very quickly. The Deepin 15.11 ISO etched to a USB worked first time like a dream.

<3<3<3

Cheers

Last edited:
OP
Jarret B

Jarret B

Staff member
Reaction score
Credits
I'm not sure if a dual boot will work or if it would be easy. My drive really wasn't large enough for my taste to have dual boot. If it is possible, Deepin must only use a portion of the drive. The rest of the drive must be left unpartitioned. When MacOS is installed, it may be ok with the partial drive, or it may want the whole thing. Of course, GRUB must be installed for dual boot, if it will work.
If Deeepin has the whole drive partitioned, then MacOS will want to reformat the whole drive and start over. If you have a system that supports Windows or Linux and can run Virtual Box well, I have an article I am working on now to install Mac OS Big Sur to Virtual Box. It runs fairly well on an i3 (i5, i7, r5, r7 would be better).

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!