Installing Linux on new Asus A509

Matt-de-Hare

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Everyone

I have been having this Asus A509 laptop for more than a year. It was my intention to install Linux on an additional internal drive (this laptop model has an extra space for two internal SDDs). I have just installed the additional hard drive a few days back.

Now, my question now is:

1) If I install Linux on the additional drive, would Windows be able to read what I am doing on Linux?

2) Which is the best Linux download for my machine?

My computer knowledge is now rusty and if anyone can explain (1) and (2) for me, I'd really appreciate it.

Regards
Matt

Since I am installing my Linux on a separate hard drive, I'd also like to be sure that a virtual separation from Windows is there from the onset. I don't want to take things for granted.

G'day Matt, Welcome to Linux.org

1) Windows will not be able to read/see what you are doing in Linux.
Under normal circumstances, you would be using one at a time. did you have some other scenario in mind?

2) Are these the specs for your 509?
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-1035G1
  • GPU: Intel UHD Graphics G1
  • DISPLAY: 15.6”, Full HD (1920 x 1080), TN
  • STORAGE: 1000GB SSD
  • RAM: 20GB DDR4
If not please show us your specs in your next reply

Welcome to the forums

I have had a look at the full specs of your laptop, I cant see any components likely to cause any problems with any build of Linux you wish to choose
as @Condobloke has said your Linux drive once installed cannot normally be read by your Windows installation, however you will be able to read your windows files [picts,docs, etc] with the linix

Bwiz

G'day Matt, Welcome to Linux.org

1) Windows will not be able to read/see what you are doing in Linux.
Under normal circumstances, you would be using one at a time. did you have some other scenario in mind?

2) Are these the specs for your 509?
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-1035G1
  • GPU: Intel UHD Graphics G1
  • DISPLAY: 15.6”, Full HD (1920 x 1080), TN
  • STORAGE: 1000GB SSD
  • RAM: 20GB DDR4
If not please show us your specs in your next reply

These are my settings:

Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) N4000 CPU @ 1.10GHz 1.10 GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB (7.83 GB usable) DDR4 (upgradeable to 16GB)
Hard Drives: 240GB + 240GB
Display: 15.6"

Thanks for the reassurance that Windows will not be able to see what I am doing on Linux. My computer sentience is now rusty -- deeply rusty -- but I was wondering whether these laptop manufacturers prime their driver updates in consultation with Microsoft -- the shittiest software on planet earth.

Welcome to the forums

I have had a look at the full specs of your laptop, I cant see any components likely to cause any problems with any build of Linux you wish to choose
as @Condobloke has said your Linux drive once installed cannot normally be read by your Windows installation, however you will be able to read your windows files [picts,docs, etc] with the linix

Bwiz

Thanks for the tip.

Now, which version of Linux do I install? I am a newbie to Linux and I am not really in top kilter with insomnia et al. I need something utilitarian but easy to handle.

I'd appreciate if any of you guys can recommend a few links to download your recommended Linux version.

These are my settings:

Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) N4000 CPU @ 1.10GHz 1.10 GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB (7.83 GB usable) DDR4 (upgradeable to 16GB)
Hard Drives: 240GB + 240GB
Display: 15.6"

Thanks for the reassurance that Windows will not be able to see what I am doing on Linux. My computer sentience is now rusty -- deeply rusty -- but I was wondering whether these laptop manufacturers prime their driver updates in consultation with Microsoft -- the shittiest software on planet earth.
You should have no problem with any Linux you choose on that machine. I would recommend Mint or Mx however to keep it simple at first. Also your windows can not natively read Linux files. But there are programs that can allow this to some degree. This article may be of help Linux/windows

Also this page may help with the dual boot process Dual Boot
Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
You can get mint here Mint (any of the Desktops will work on your machine)
MX here MX I recommend their KDE version.

We will make suggestions but at the end of the day its something you will feel comfortable with, as always we recommend you download and try several builds to see which YOU like the most.
some popular builds for the newbie are MX- liux [MX-19.4.1_x64 “ahs”] has the latest range of drivers,but you may not like the desktop, Mint with cinnamon desktop, Ubuntu with the mate desktop, Debian [stable] with the XFCE desktop, the list is endless so please try running a few "Live" [without installing] to see what takes your fancy

whatever you choose there will be a learning curve, so don't give up

Bwiz

Just to clarify a little: Windows can "see" the drive, but partition using a filesystem not supported by M$ cannot be read by Windows. If you're really paranoid, use encryption (most distros give you this option during install) at some minimal speed costs.

On distros, I agree with MX Linux as a good option since it's lighter weight and you're running a 1GHz CPU.

I'd appreciate if any of you guys can recommend a few links to download your recommended Linux version.
you should also become familar with Distro Watch as it list the top 100 or so distros. Try a few live without installing first. That will give you an Idea of what Linux looks and feels like.

I'll make it simple for you

Linux Mint (Cinnamon Desktop) 64 bit DOWNLOAD HERE

Arguably the most popular.....LOTS of support.

No need for encryption (unless you have medically diagnosed paranoia)

I have been running it for approx 7 years now. Rock solid. Reliable. Runs Fast. Updates like a dream.

If you need help with downloading it and attaching it to a usb stick and then booting your computer to that usb stick....just say so. Plenty of people here to help. We have ALL been in that position before today.

Thanks guys,

Instead of installing it on a USB, can I just go ahead and install it on my separate hard drive? Apologies for appearing like a total tech klutz but I am little under the weather here but don't want to delay this any longer. I have decided to install MX Linux. Maybe, install another distro on a USB once I learn the ropes.

What's the main utility of (or argument for) installing on a USB?

Thanks guys,

Instead of installing it on a USB, can I just go ahead and install it on my separate hard drive? Apologies for appearing like a total tech klutz but I am little under the weather here but don't want to delay this any longer. I have decided to install MX Linux. Maybe, install another distro on a USB once I learn the ropes.

What's the main utility of (or argument for) installing on a USB?
You don't normally install to a USB but burn a live version that can be used to test the system before you install to hardware. That way you can be pretty sure everything will work when you decide to install.
there are Distros that can be burned to USB sticks with persistence so you can take your Linux system with you. In any event I'm sure you will do well with MX.

So, we are ta;kin g about a 2 step process to get it installed on your pc

First, burn/write the file you download of MX to a usb stick.
To do this you use a program/app like Balena Etcher. This will make the usb stick Bootable

Secondly, you will boot the pc to the usb stick.
you will need to change the boot order to do this

Reboot the pc, and you will need to either tap the F8 key or the escape (esc) key to change the boot order

The article above probably explains it better than I do.

Once you have booted to MX.....it will run in what is known as LIVE mode.
Take it for a spin.....see tat wifi etc is working and sound....etc etc...give it a good testing.

If everything appears to be ok, there will be a INSTALL icon probably on the desktop.

Follow the prompts.

If you are POSITIVE you wish to wipe your installation of windows....go ahead, and allow MX to use the entire disk.

Positive.....because once MX is installed ...Windows is GONE....FOREVER

IF THERE IS ANYTHING ON YOUR WINDOWS THAT YOU NEED TO SAVE,,.....DO IT NOW!!!!!!!

You will not get another chance.

Questions?....fire away.

If you want to dual boot MX with windows here a page telling how to do that Dual boot

And one of the options as you install most linux builds is...install non-free/proprietary drivers as a newbie tick the box , [otherwise you will be searching and installing some drivers manually]
Oh and make sure when you install to choose the new drive or if your sticking to the just the one already in the machine choose the install alongside windows option

Bwiz

And one of the options as you install most linux builds is...install non-free/proprietary drivers as a newbie tick the box , [otherwise you will be searching and installing some drivers manually]
Oh and make sure when you install to choose the new drive or if your sticking to the just the one already in the machine choose the install alongside windows option

Bwiz
Thanks. That is helpful.

If you want to dual boot MX with windows here a page telling how to do that Dual boot

No. I want to use Windows separately. Entirely separately -- even if I have to reboot the machine to do. I can live with a toggle function for the time being. I suppose toggling would be easy enough?

You don't normally install to a USB but burn a live version that can be used to test the system before you install to hardware. That way you can be pretty sure everything will work when you decide to install.
there are Distros that can be burned to USB sticks with persistence so you can take your Linux system with you. In any event I'm sure you will do well with MX.

OK. That makes perfect sense. Many thanks.

Members online