Installing Linux on second SDD while keeping current files.

mintyboi789

Reaction score
Credits
Hi gang. I have used Linux on and off for a number of years. I have the itch to install Linux again alongside Windows, but this time I have a second SDD in my machine that I'd like to install it to.

Is it possible to install it to this second SDD, while also keeping all documents / files that are currently on it? Or is it best to wipe and install from scratch?

I use the second SDD as storage for larger files, games etc, and ideally would like to keep it that way if it's possible to partition the drive in a way that I can keep the current files while also installing Linux.

Please let me know if this is possible. Thanks!

Are you a spammer, @mintyboi789 ??

You have this topic open 3 times that I can see

use your favorite partitioning tool to make a second partition on the drive, keep a note of the drive number [eg Kingstone 123445566] then when you boot your iso pen drive and start to install at the partition stage use the drop down tab to select the drive and the partition as your target

use your favorite partitioning tool to make a second partition on the drive, keep a note of the drive number [eg Kingstone 123445566] then when you boot your iso pen drive and start to install at the partition stage use the drop down tab to select the drive and the partition as your target
Thanks Brickwizard. Would I need to create any separate partitions within the new partition? I seem to remember previously having to create swap and other stuff.

Afterthought

oh as you cannot make up your mind to use Debian or Mint, then the logical answer is to use Mint LMDE6

Depending on your choice of distribution possibly, but with Mint LMDE [as just mentioned above] the Mint installer will do it for you, just make sure you follow the on page instructions when you do the installation.

Depending on your choice of distribution possibly, but with Mint LMDE [as just mentioned above] the Mint installer will do it for you, just make sure you follow the on page instructions when you do the installation.
Thanks very much for your suggestions! I didn't even know LMDE was a thing, looks super interesting.

Its the one I [and a few others use] its a bit lighter than Mint 21 [Ubuntu based]

Its the one I [and a few others use] its a bit lighter than Mint 21 [Ubuntu based]
Hi Brick, I'm having a bit of trouble getting it installed on the second SDD. I've partitioned 200GB of space on the drive for LMDE. My second SDD is showing up as SDA, and my main drive with windows showing as SDB.

When I choose to install GRUB, even though I'm choosing to install it to SDA (the same drive as the LMDE install), when I get to the next screen it's showing that it's going to install to SDB1.

I've done some research and it seems this might be a bug with the Mint installer. Ideally I'd like both OS's totally separate, i.e. I don't want to see GRUB bootloader when switching on the machine, if I want to boot into LMDE I'd like to just enter into the boot options and choose that drive, if that makes sense.

Is it safe to continue with the install of GRUB in this way? Will it show up every time I power on the machine, and could this potentially mess up my windows install? Thanks.

DID you disable windows quick-start [fastboot] and secure boot in the BIOS/EUFI before you started to do the installation?

DID you disable windows quick-start [fastboot] and secure boot in the BIOS/EUFI before you started to do the installation?
I did not. I didn't actually end up installing last night as got to this point and was stuck. Will this solve my issue?

it is one of the main causes of problems. Windows will control your machine unless they are disabled [some distributions will work with secure boot , but most dont] when you disable windows fast-boot do a full power re-boot before trying again

it is one of the main causes of problems. Windows will control your machine unless they are disabled [some distributions will work with secure boot , but most dont] when you disable windows fast-boot do a full power re-boot before trying again
Thank you, I will try this when I'm back on my machine and report back.

Members online