installing linux (solved)

gwb21471

Reaction score
Credits
I have a HP 19 all in one computer. I am trying to install POP! OS on it. It will boot up for the usb drive to install it but once i get to 70% of system configuration it will stop and tell me there was a problem installing and askes me to try again. But it does the same thing. I did everything i needed to do to install POP! OS. I turn off secure boot and set everything to legacy. I got 4gb of memory and 512gb hard drive. The computer work great with windows 10 and it's to old for windows 11. It's has a AMD E1-apu with graphic built on it. I even tried to burn it to a dvd but it won't boot up right but it boots up fine on a usb drive. If anybody has and idea on how to get it to install. Maybe something i am missing. Thanks for the help.

Did you erase the hard drive? Is it filling up?

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...-hp-laptop/m-p/7645015/highlight/true#M591768
. . . and you did the above?

At 1.4GHz and 4GB RAM, IME I'd suggest something lightweight like antiX or lubuntu. In other words, a distro without KDE or Gnome Desktop Environments.

And one of the first things to do is to set "nomodeset" for boot parameter and update the firmware (after update and upgrade) due to Radeon graphics

Welcome! And don't get overwhelmed by GNU/Linux -- learning it is a process with lots of fun and some frustrations, at first.

Last edited:
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...-hp-laptop/m-p/7645015/highlight/true#M591768
. . . and you did the above?

At 1.4GHz and 4GB RAM, IME I'd suggest something lightweight like antiX or lubuntu. In other words, a distro without KDE or Gnome Desktop Environments.

And one of the first things to do is to set "nomodeset" for boot parameter and update the firmware (after update and upgrade) due to Radeon graphics

Welcome! And don't get overwhelmed by GNU/Linux -- learning it is a process with lots of fun and some frustrations, at first.
I just installed 8gb of memory just to see if thats helps. It did boot up once with pop! os but after it updated it's self by installing drivers for apu and graphic card and chipset and some other drivers it needed. After reboot to load the new drivers it wouldn't startup and i just get a blank screen. I may reinstall it pop! os with the 8gb of memory Thanks for the help. I just with it would boot up from dvd.,

" . . . i just get a blank screen."

RE: nomodeset

Pop is not what I consider a general Linux distribution, it may be based on Ubuntu, but it is special constructed to be used on System 76's own hardware, If it works out of the box great if not it can be a pig's rear end to get working,
your HP should have a Ryzen 3, 2.6Gh twin core processor, which is fine for any standard build of Linux, Ubuntu, Mint,MX, Debian, peppermint should all work just fine

Pop is not what I consider a general Linux distribution, it may be based on Ubuntu, but it is special constructed to be used on System 76's own hardware, If it works out of the box great if not it can be a pig's rear end to get working,
your HP should have a Ryzen 3, 2.6Gh twin core processor, which is fine for any standard build of Linux, Ubuntu, Mint,MX, Debian, peppermint should all work just fine
My hp has a AMD E-1 apu 1.4ghz with AMD hd 8240 graphics and i put 8gb of memory it came with 4gb.

OK you have a much lower powered twin core than the standard spec, in which case I would recommend a mid-weight distribution, Mx, Peppermint, Linux-lite or similar

Want to thank everyone that help me. I went with unbuntu on my go 19. It seem that pop os can’t handle apu and graphics and chipset on one chip where unbuntu can.

Now you're up and running, we recommend you install Timeshift [or similar]
Any other problems, do ask.

Members online