Installing Network Driver (WIFI) on Ubuntu 16.04.6

DMR

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all,
nice to meet you.

I have absolutely no idea about Linux but I am trying to fix something on our Workstation, which runs Ubuntu. I have never used Linux so I would appreciate if we can keep the language noob-friendly :)

So basically I am trying to install Wifi Dongles on Ubuntu but I am not quite sure how. I bought Linux compatible dongles off Amazon. I am not sure how to even run the setup, (I'm so noob, I tried double clicking the setup file,).

Is there any guide you can refer me to?

Thanks in advance

Hi @DMR, and welcome! You've referred to "dongles" in the plural a couple of times... I hope you didn't buy too many. Just because the dongle is advertised as Linux compatible, that doesn't mean it will work, or that it will work well.

But maybe luck will be on your side... Ubuntu is a very good system at finding and setting up new hardware. First off, you don't run the Windows setup file on the disk. Linux doesn't work that way. If all works as normal, and as simply as it usually does, just plug in your dongle and reboot Ubuntu. Then look in your Network Manager app and see if nearby wireless networks appear. If so, click on the one you want, enter the passphrase, and presto! That's usually all there is to it.

If you don't detect wireless networks, then it might take some time and effort to diagnose what kind of wifi device it is (doesn't matter what Amazon says it is... just a few companies make devices and put all kinds of brand names on them). But I'm kinda banking on the easy detection described above. :D

Cheers

Also, if they claim to be Linux compatible, they "should" have instructions for installing on Linux if plug and play doesn't work. So if atanere's suggestions don't work, check out the dongle's website for Linux instructions.

Plug the dongle into the machine - reboot - wait to see if it is detected.
Most likely it will be.
If not - questions for more info will follow here :)

Members online