Installing Packages on a Dual Drive System

No scorpions here, thank goodness. But have seen the odd shark cruising past the boat. We have an understanding. I don't bother them... they don't bother me. Barracuda, on the other hand, are delicious!
Katie

I got a little ahead of myself with installing Extreme Download Manager. I haven't got the Waterfox browser installed yet. Thanks for hanging with me...
Katie

@kay-dee - From looking at what Wiz has just posted above - it appears that XDM IS actually a java based application. xdman.jar is the actual XDM executable. In order for that to run, your system must have a java runtime installed somewhere - either as part of the system, or packaged locally with XDM.

So XDM is definitely where all of those java related core-dumps are coming from.

If the application is behaving correctly when you are using it - you can probably just safely ignore those logs. Sometimes a java application will crash and dump it's core after you've shut it down.

But If it is NOT behaving correctly - then it's either a bug in that version of the program that is causing a crash. Or perhaps some incompatibility between the application and the java runtime that it's running on.

e.g.
If the application was only ever built and tested against the Oracle JDK and not against the openJDK - then running the application on the openJDK could potentially cause the program to misbehave or become unstable.

All Linux distros have the openJDK available in their repos.
Whereas the Oracle JDK is only available in the repos of distros that are more liberal about including non-free software, or are available from external/3rd party repositories.

There is nothing wrong with the openJDK per-se. But sometimes applications that are built for the OracleJDK use language features that perhaps are not yet implemented in the openJDK, or aren't fully supported by it. But generally speaking - the .jar file should run.

Thanks @JasKinasis, I've had no trouble running Extreme Download Manager on my ThinkPad/Zorin 15. I get the core-dump notifications and delete them.
Still have not tried XDM on the dual drive Clevo. I wanted to install Waterfox Browser first. But I can't even download the package. I get download times of eleven hours! And the download eventually fails. Luckily Zorin comes with Firefox or I would be dead in the water.
Katie

I wanted to install Waterfox Browser first.

What, do you mean this?

HA2UeNR.png

SCREENSHOT 3 - WATERFOX CLASSIC

This is Waterfox Classic, just released last month, it is likely the one you should be shooting for, rather than some of the v56 models.

Best place to download from is likely at GitHub, and you can also follow the instructions there to install.

https://gist.github.com/angela-d/5f6760f5512e8b8029aeda3cbb1d26dd

Once installed, I believe you already know how to add a launcher to the Plank (panel) in Zorin

yr6dUY4.png

SCREENSHOT 4 - KATIE TRUMPS ZORIN FORUM

For the benefit of The Viewers, Katie was at Zorin Forum 6 months ago with a question about adding a launcher to their panel, called Plank - she ended up solving it better than the Zorin people - much kudos.

https://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14662

... trickles into a second page.

With my launch icon, on my laptop, I used the 128 icon from path

/waterfox-classic/browser/chrome/icons/default/

Of course I will pop in the obligatory plug to say you should take a Timeshift snapshot before and after installing from a tar, as it is "foreign" software, and there are no guarantees.

Sing out if you need help.

Saturday in Oz, so

Enjoy your Linux and

Avagudweegend.

Wizard

Thanks Wiz, that is the browser I'm trying to install. I have downloaded the package but the instructions from GitHub are flying way over my head. "Download Waterfox for Linux; Right-click & copy the URL"
Click on what??!!
Newbie alert!!! And after four years too. I am finding the Zorin Repository sadly lacking. When I installed Waterfox on my Lenovo/Zorin, it was so easy.
Katie

URL = link (URL = Uniform Resource Locator), surprised if you have not come across that.

If you type in your browser a web address, whether it starts with www. or http//: or https:/ - that is its URL.

So right-click the link and choose Copy Link or what it says.

Then you can open Terminal, start to type in wget and a space and paste (Ctrl-Shift-v) the URL, and enter.

wget is a CLI-based download manager, quite handy, and it will download the tar archive file to your Home folder (or in your case, partition?).

Then follow the instructions.

Don't worry about the "tilde" bit.

Tilde is the ~ key, likely, on US, under your Esc key.

By default, your Terminal will usually open at /home/katie if that is your user name.

However if you have it set up differently, or if you are working elsewhere, eg /usr , /etc , /var &c, and wish to return to Home, you just type and enter

Code:
cd ~

# and you can check where you are with

pwd

(present working directory)

You may recall I said I usually set up "foreign" applications in /opt , but here I have followed Waterfox, who say that by installing under Home, you can be sure to get updates.

Updates are often not catered to by tar archive installs.

Questions?

Cheers

Wiz

Thanx Wiz:
URL I get. It's your use of the term "link" that has me scratching my head. I have the Waterfox Package downloaded in Downloads. Do I click on that? Do I need to Extract to Downloads? Do you mean the "link" in the above post? This has me wishing for the Arch AUR...
Katie

Thanx Wiz:
URL I get. It's your use of the term "link" that has me scratching my head. I have the Waterfox Package downloaded in Downloads. Do I click on that? Do I need to Extract to Downloads? Do you mean the "link" in the above post? This has me wishing for the Arch AUR...
Katie
Right click on the .tar.bz2 file and choose "extract here". You can then move the extracted folder to your Home directory.

Try the link @wizardfromoz posted;
How to Install Waterfox on Linux

From the link;
Installing Waterfox to the home directory of the current user is ideal, so the automatic updater can install updates.
You won't need to modify any special permissions to get automatic updates, if you install in /home/user/
Run the following commands as your normal user; do not run as root!
  • Extract the compressed file:
tar -xvjf ./waterfox*.tar.bz2
Done! You can launch Waterfox from the commandline (optional) via:
./waterfox

Only problem is the current version does not run on Linux with GLIBC less than 2.30.
Just tried it on my Linux Mint 19.3 and got the error message.

ymmv

URL = link (URL = Uniform Resource Locator),

Technically, that is not correct, I was a loose Wizard :oops:

The URL is the actual "physical" address on the internet, of a webpage/s, or an FTP server, or an email address, &c.

As an author, if you use word processing, you may be familiar with inserting a

hyperlink

in a document - could be a PDF, could be a .doc or .odt - in Libre Office, when reading the doc, you run the mouse over it and a smart tip tells you to press Ctrl-click to go there

Link is short for hyperlink.

Example

NGjjvFX.png

SCREENSHOT 5 - LINK EXAMPLE

Clear? It's all to do with HTML - Hyper Text Markup Language - upon which a sizable chunk of The Net is built on.

I could do up a video, but it will take me a couple of days to make the time.

@Vrai - thanks for the heads up, on limitations with Waterfox install.

There are two main forms of Waterfox - Waterfox Classic and Waterfox Current. I chose to install Classic on my Zorin 15, which is based on Ubuntu 18.04.

I'll have to take a look at a couple of other Distros in my stable, and see. I installed Waterfox after 1 January.

This has me wishing for the Arch AUR...

The siren call of Manjaro and other Arch-based distros is calling to you, Katie.

The Force is strong in them.

Reach out and embrace it ... multi-boot :D:D

Wiz

Here's Waterfox Classic running on Tricia Cinnamon, installed 3 minutes ago.

78pkx9r.png

SCREENSHOT 6 - WATERFOX CLASSIC ON TRICIA CINNAMON

Sequence was as follows

Code:
cd Downloads

wget https://storage-waterfox.netdna-ssl.com/releases/linux64/installer/waterfox-classic-2019.12.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2

cd waterfox-classic/

./waterfox

c u 2morrow

Wizard out

Here's Waterfox Classic running on Tricia Cinnamon, installed 3 minutes ago.

78pkx9r.png

SCREENSHOT 6 - WATERFOX CLASSIC ON TRICIA CINNAMON

Sequence was as follows

Code:
cd Downloads

wget https://storage-waterfox.netdna-ssl.com/releases/linux64/installer/waterfox-classic-2019.12.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2

cd waterfox-classic/

./waterfox

c u 2morrow

Wizard out
@wizardfromoz
Did you do anything to upgrade your glibc version? I'm running Linux Mint 19.3 and got the glibc error with both Waterfox Classic and Current.
Perhaps I downloaded the wrong version of Waterfox?
I downloaded and tried both the "Classic" & "Current" versions from the Waterfox site here:

Perhaps the link you shared has a more current version?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, Wiz… I am a big fan of Manjaro. I used it for many months and it worked on my crappy Lenovo better than anything. Of course I was getting a lot of flack from my “Minty” friends saying that Manjaro would break my machine and, with my limited skills, I wouldn’t be able to fix it. But it was the crappy wifi here in the Turd World that finally got to me. A rolling release is problematic for me, but back in the civilized world, Manjaro would be attractive.
Katie

So this the command I enter into the Terminal:
wget https://gist.github.com/angela-d/5f6760f5512e8b8029aeda3cbb1d26dd//storage-waterfox.netdna-ssl.com/releases/linux64/installer/waterfox-...en-US.linux-x86_64.tar

No, you are reading me a little too literally, or I am confusing you :oops:

1. That link takes you to the GitHub webpage run by an "Angela".

2. A few lines down, it says

Run the following commands as your normal user; do not run as root!

That is followed by

• Download Waterfox for Linux; Right-click & copy the URL
  • Open a terminal and cd into the home directory:

The bit saying Download Waterfox should be highlighted, it is a link to the downloads page.

Click that.

The page that opens will have on the right, a section for Linux, and at bottom a button saying

Download 2020.01

PAUSE HERE

Have a cuppa tea or coffee, we get to make choices. Between two (2) options.

That button is a webpage-designed object with a (hyper)link.

When you run your cursor over it, it changes into The Fickle Finger of Fate (no-one under 60 will understand that reference :D).

Bottom left of your screen will show where Door Number 1 leads, and that is to

https://storage-waterfox.netdna-ssl...ox-classic-2019.12.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2

... which I referred to with the wget command above. So you can either

1. Click the button, you'll get the little popup that asks whether you want to open or save, you click save and the packages is downloaded by default to your Downloads folder

OR

2. You right-click the button, choose Copy Link Location, and then open Terminal and paste it.

Referencing the Install Waterfox page again, either way we use Terminal:

If you chose Option 1, you will simply go to Downloads

cd Downloads

... skip the wget command, and pick up with extracting.

If you chose Option 2, go to Terminal, and Ctrl-Shift-v will paste the clipboard content, which is that long link. The press Home to take you to the start of the line, and type in

wget

Press End to get to the end of the line, then Enter.

wget will do the downloading for you that Firefox's Download Manager did in Option 1.

When the download is complete, follow the rest of the instructions to decompress and install.

PHEW

Gosh, I hope that is clear.

I'll come back to Vrai's points soon.

Wiz

Oh yeah… I’m really confused. This has been an adventure that I really don’t want to repeat.

BUT, with these new instructions and using wget, I now have a Waterfox folder located in my Home Directory. Then you say: “When the download is complete, follow the rest of the instructions to decompress and install.”

Okay, where are these elusive instructions? Inside the downloaded folder perhaps? Forgive me for being a bit cautious at this point but this has been a bear of an installation and I really don’t want to screw it up when the end is in sight.

Katie

PS: Rowan & Martin… I looked it up :)

PS: Rowan & Martin… I looked it up

Nice work - Laughin provided a springboard to the careers of a number of comedians, including Goldie Hawn and Lily Tomlin. Wonderful show, but I digress.

...this has been a bear of an installation...

Nope, that starts soon, perhaps :eek::eek:

Question

The tar you downloaded, was it called

waterfox-classic-2019.12.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2

or

waterfox-classic-2020.01.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2

??

The former would be the one you were trying to download but was having an 11 - hour bellyache. It is the one I downloaded.

If you have that, you are good to go.

If the latter, the 2020 one, you are dead in the water, it won't install, for the reasons Vrai outlined above.

Murphy's Law applies, and on 10th January, the Waterfox people released the new version, and stopped displaying the older version - even though the older version was only 4 weeks old??

It is the new version which is problematic.

So let us know which is which, and we can proceed from there.

BTW - I have a workaround that involves what is called an AppImage from our friends at openSUSE, it will be Waterfox Current rather than Waterfox Classic, but it works fine. I have replaced the Waterfox Classic on my Zorin 15.1 with the Current via AppImage, looking good.

Given the time zone differences, I'll tell you that the AppImage can be downloaded from here

https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/hawkeye116477:/waterfox/AppImage/

and we just need to tweak it to make it executable and go from there.

The one you need to download is as shown

gxSGlhD.png

SCREENSHOT 7 - WATERFOX APPIMAGE

NOW
it's becoming a bear :p:D

Wiz

Members online