Installing proprietary/recommended drivers in Ubuntu.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
It's a bit more complicated, and the drivers aren't always proprietary. However, I kinda pick on the Nvidia drivers in this one. Every day, sometimes multiple times a day, questions pop up revolving around proprietary drivers - such as Nvidia's .run files - being installed on Ubuntu and keeping things working together.

It's really easy to avoid that. It's really easy to install the drivers the 'right' way, the way that doesn't (usually) lead to hardship. Like many things in Linux - it just works.

As an aside, it's kinda funny how everyone considered Apple as the "It Just Works" people - but I really find that it's Linux that just works (more often than not). Generally speaking, I don't even normally install proprietary drivers unless I have to. It just works without 'em.

Anyhow, like always, feedback is appreciated. It sometimes results in the article changing - or even a new article getting planned. So, thanks for those that offer feedback. It's appreciated.

I like your writing style because you are able to get across your message to your target audience, beginner Linux users, and still keeping it simple for anyone to understand. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Thanks for reading. I try to keep it simple and explain it in ways that give enough information without overwhelming people.

A simple command, say 'cat' is absolutely overwhelming when you type in 'info cat' (which is quite different than 'man cat') and you're new to Linux - or even if you've been using it for a while. If I can show someone a use for cat, then maybe it makes it a little less mystifying.

I'll give this project at least a year, but I've got notes enough for multiple years. So, it's a fun little project. I had someone ask me if I wanted to accept donations. I've not given it much thought. I do plan on eventual ads.

Latest posts