Installing Software

When I check it the menu entry is under the "Office" category, did you check there?

Office was the first place I checked and nothing then I went through all the other menu option and still nothing.

I don't use snap at all, so it could be that after installing snapd that a reboot might be needed. Try rebooting your system and then reinstalling invoiceninja by running the following from the terminal.
Code:
sudo snap remove invoiceninja
sudo snap install invoiceninja
Then check the menu again .

Well before you replied here I just did a reboot and then it shows under Office.

I need to find a way to install applications that I might download that is easy and the same each time.

I almost forgot, also install the "snap-store" by running the following in a terminal.
Code:
sudo snap install snap-store
Here's what I would do in your situation, when looking for software first look and see if you can find it in the "Software Manager" and install it from there. If you can't find something you want to install then search through the "Snap Store" also in the menu and install it from there. If you can't find it in either of those there are other ways to install things and you can ask here on the forums when/if the time comes. I will leave you with that for now or else you might get overwhelmed in information.

Just one question which Linux Mint iso did you use to install your computer with, the Cinnamon, Xfce or Mate flavor?

Last edited:
I almost forgot, also install the "snap-store" by running the following in a terminal.
Code:
sudo snap install snap-store
Here's what I would do in your situation, when looking for software first look and see if you can find it in the "Software Manager" and install it from there. If you can't find something you want to install then search through the "Snap Store" also in the menu and install it from there. If you can't find it in either of those there are other ways to install things and you can ask here on the forums when/if the time comes. I will leave you with that for now or else you might get overwhelmed in information.

Just one question which Linux Mint iso did you use to install your computer with, the Cinnamon, Xfce or Mate flavor?

Well thank you for the wealth of information you have already giving me and I just install the snap store, did a reboot after that lol

I am using Cinnamon as after doing a bit of research it seemed that was the one to go for being a new Linux user.

I must say so far my laptop is like lightning compared to how it was on Windows 10. As of now I am glad I changed over but it will be a long time before I attempt doing my desktop as that is my primary system and it is a gaming system as well.

Well thank you for the wealth of information you have already giving me and I just install the snap store, did a reboot after that lol

I am using Cinnamon as after doing a bit of research it seemed that was the one to go for being a new Linux user.
Enjoy Linux Mint and if you have another question or run into a problem be sure to ask here on the forums!

I wonder whether @DavePM has a good understanding of package managers and what he has just accomplished.

There are a variety of tools for managing software applications (apps) in Linux. "Package managers" are a popular way to install and remove applications. Package managers let developers bundle the necessary pieces required to run an app. The package bundles make it easier for end users to install and run the apps.

Linux Mint Cinnamon users favor "apt" and "Flatpak" as package managers.

The last couple years, Ubuntu has been promoting their preferred package manager, called "Snaps". Snaps is controversial among Linux users because Canonical (the company behind Ubuntu) maintains control of which app packages are available by forcing everyone to use Ubuntu's server on the internet. That Ubuntu Snaps server runs proprietary, closed source software, by the way. (The "client" is open source, but not the server.)

A given app may not be available in every package manager. You can look for a different, suitable app in your favorite package managers. If you need a specific app, like DavePM, you may have to find another way to install it, including a manual build/installation.

You can add Snaps to other Linux distros, like Linux Mint, which is what DavePM has done. DavePM installed the Snaps package manager. After that, he used Snaps to install the desired "Invoice Ninja" app. That works, but now he must check for updates through apt and Snaps, ... and possibly Flatpak.

. . . . .

Personal note:
This just highlights an issue that I have struggled with: Sorting out way too many Linux distros and package managers to learn what works best for me. It is like the world's largest Venn diagram.

I wonder whether @DavePM has a good understanding of package managers and what he has just accomplished.
I think since @DavePM being a new Linux user cares about being able to use the software they might find useful for them and not so much about software philosophy. Also being the reason why I didn't get into the Snap vs Flatpak discussion. Since the package they were looking for was not available in the default repos(apt) and also not through Flatpak but officially supported through Snap I thought that was the best they just use Snap if a package is not available from the default packages through the software center. Also I rather not overload a new user with information since it can be a bit much.
DavePM installed the Snaps package manager. After that, he used Snaps to install the desired "Invoice Ninja" app. That works, but now he must check for updates through apt and Snaps, ... and possibly Flatpak.
True we can explain how to do that but if @DavePM comes to the conclusion that Snaps are enough it might be better to switch to Ubuntu because the Ubuntu software center has Snap support AFAIK. But maybe something for another day. Let's just see how @DavePM gets along with Linux Mint and we can always guide them to another distribution if that gives them a better experience.

FYI: Ubuntu also has a Cinnamon flavor now.

Last edited:
Sometimes a reboot is required before a Snap shows up in the menu. If that's the case, it means it wasn't packaged quite right, nothing more.

There are a variety of tools for managing software applications (apps) in Linux. "Package managers" are a popular way to install and remove applications. Package managers let developers bundle the necessary pieces required to run an app. The package bundles make it easier for end users to install and run the apps.

Today I had a look at synaptic package manager but I need to play more on this to get a better idea as to the full use of it.
Linux Mint Cinnamon users favor "apt" and "Flatpak" as package managers.
I did a search on this in the software manager and it returned a long list in the results so I am not sure what one I should be looking at.

Today I learned how to install software from the Terminal window and it seemed to work so I will also see how this develops.

True we can explain how to do that but if @DavePM comes to the conclusion that Snaps are enough it might be better to switch to Ubuntu because the Ubuntu software center has Snap support AFAIK. But maybe something for another day. Let's just see how @DavePM gets along with Linux Mint and we can always guide them to another distribution if that gives them a better experience.
How difficult is it to change over to another distributor as it might just be better to start with what I will end up with right off. I am going to download Ubuntu and run it off my flash drive to see what that is about.

How difficult is it to change over to another distributor as it might just be better to start with what I will end up with right off. I am going to download Ubuntu and run it off my flash drive to see what that is about.
It's good to try different distributions, if you want to try something else you will have to download the iso of that distribution and write it to a usb flash drive. You can can then try it out as live media without installing or choose to install, installation doesn't take long but be sure to backup your personal data if you already have some personal files stored in your home directory.

It's good to try different distributions, if you want to try something else you will have to download the iso of that distribution and write it to a usb flash drive. You can can then try it out as live media without installing or choose to install, installation doesn't take long but be sure to backup your personal data if you already have some personal files stored in your home directory.

Right now I don't really have much on my laptop just a few Linux help documents. So what I am going to do is create an Ubuntu boot USB drive with Ubuntu and run my desktop off that. This way I can compare the two side by side and see the difference.

So what I understand is I would then need to do a complete new install on the laptop if I feel Ubuntu is better for my use.

USB drive with Ubuntu and run my desktop off that
Just remember running from a live or persistent USB, will not give you full speed, but is a great way to test distributions

Just remember running from a live or persistent USB, will not give you full speed, but is a great way to test distributions
Yes I noticed that when playing with Mint on my laptop but as you say it is a great way to play with it. I am now busy setting up the Ubuntu boot USB on my desktop so I will be able to play with it all soon.

Right now I don't really have much on my laptop just a few Linux help documents. So what I am going to do is create an Ubuntu boot USB drive with Ubuntu and run my desktop off that. This way I can compare the two side by side and see the difference.

So what I understand is I would then need to do a complete new install on the laptop if I feel Ubuntu is better for my use.
There is a Ubuntu Cinnamon edition now but looks like the webpage isn't working currently.
But I think the Gnome store will have better support for Snaps,which is the default edition.

There is a Ubuntu Cinnamon flavor/edition now but looks like the webpage isn't working currently.
I did not know that but for now I will just try the straight version. What would the difference be as it is only now that I noticed different distributors seem to have different versions as well.

Let me see if I can find a download link for you and I will test it out myself first.

Staff online

Members online