Installing Ubuntu 21.04 on a MacBook Pro

Swiss

Reaction score
Credits
Hi folks,

This morning, I tried to install Ubuntu 21.04 on my, I belive, 2018 MacBook Pro. I downloaded the ISO file and created a bootable USB drive with Balena Etcher. After I've created the bootable USB I restarted my MacBook and held down the 'Option' key. I then booted in to Ubuntu with the USB and the installation process started. Everything went fine. I picked a username, a password, where I was located etc. All the things you have to do when installing Ubuntu and all that went fine, aswell. When Ubuntu was installed, my computer restarted and it told me to remove the bootable USB from the comupter and then press 'Enter' which I did. After the restart, nothing is shown on the screen. I turn my computer on, it makes the Apple startup sound and then nothing. Why's that? As I said, the installation process went fine. There wasn't any errors when creating the bootable USB nor the installation of Ubuntu. Has someone else got this problem before and if so, how did you guys fix it?

Kind regards,
Swiss.

did you chose the UEFI install option in Ubuntu?

I try to avoid anything Mac... until someone with a bit more experience with them comes on I suggest you take a look at this article

Bwiz

I try to avoid anything Mac... until someone with a bit more experience with them comes on I suggest you take a look at this article

Bwiz
Yeah that was the one I followed. I'll take another look at it. Thanks anyway!

That's a good guide that brickwizard posted for you.
I hope for you that helps.

I think choosing the EFI boot option is what you want after holding down the Option key.

Sometimes an all black screen is a driver issue with your GPU.
What GPU do you have?

Last edited:
@Alexzee
depending on the processor if his mac is a 2018 it should have Radeon Pro 555X or Pro 560X

@Alexzee
depending on the processor if his mac is a 2018 it should have Radeon Pro 555X or Pro 560X
That's good news that the GPU is a Radeon.

I've learned over the years that the Nvidia GPU's cause a black screen if the Linux driver for Nvidia isn't installed.

If booting in EFI mode doesn't help than booting in Legacy mode is the only other choice. That's what I just found out from reading here:

Instruction 12 & 13 here say to add nomodeset to the boot entry.

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies. I'll take a look at the method you linked Alexzee.
I'll come back with a result later.

Hi, I tried the method you linked but it didn't work unfortunatelly. I just realized that the first page you linked, from LapTopNinja, I didn't follow that one. I just looked at it but I didn't really understand the first instruction when I was supposed to use the terminal - "
hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o ~/path/to/target.img ~/path/to/ubuntu.iso" I'm supposed to replace the generic path and names to suit my file locations but I don't know how.

I have been a Windows user since the day I got my first computer. I figured that I would give Linux a try to broaden my knowledge.

Hi folks,

This morning, I tried to install Ubuntu 21.04 on my, I belive, 2018 MacBook Pro. I downloaded the ISO file and created a bootable USB drive with Balena Etcher. After I've created the bootable USB I restarted my MacBook and held down the 'Option' key. I then booted in to Ubuntu with the USB and the installation process started. Everything went fine. I picked a username, a password, where I was located etc. All the things you have to do when installing Ubuntu and all that went fine, aswell. When Ubuntu was installed, my computer restarted and it told me to remove the bootable USB from the comupter and then press 'Enter' which I did. After the restart, nothing is shown on the screen. I turn my computer on, it makes the Apple startup sound and then nothing. Why's that? As I said, the installation process went fine. There wasn't any errors when creating the bootable USB nor the installation of Ubuntu. Has someone else got this problem before and if so, how did you guys fix it?

Kind regards,
Swiss.
Lol just boot with the live cd and name the ext4 partition bootcamp check sata cable maccbooks are notorious for bad cabling get yourself and external usb enclosure if you do not want to dive in to installing opencore bootloader it is a security setting in the firmware that prevents non apple boot code there are many ways to work around that easiest way is to have an external disk preferably ssd y have an macbook pro mid 2010 and latest kubuntu 21.04 and win 10 and 11 on win 11 there are some glitches with graphics but y find a way for that

Staff online