Installing Ubuntu on a Mac computer

mariakesa

Reaction score
Credits
Hello:)

I am trying to install Ubuntu on a mac computer, in particular a iMacPro1,1. I am following this instruction: https://linuxnewbieguide.org/how-to-install-linux-on-a-macintosh-computer/ I have partitioned my hard drive and burned an iso on a usb stick using etcher. However, when I boot into the ubuntu I don't get an installation view as in step 3 of the instructions that I linked to. Instead there's a black screen that fails to disappear and the installation screen doesn't appear.

My computer has a T2 chip. In the comments to the post linked above there was a comment:
'
Hi Sir,
I think your tutorial is not based on the mac machine with T2 chip. Although you mentioned turn off secure boot, enable external boot, actually T2 chip still block the
pcie (nvme, thunderbold) ssd to the Linux OS, only usb drive is visible. Because the Linux can’t see the nvme(internal) or thunderbolt (external) ssd, I only tried install
linux in a usb3.0 disk. The installation can go on, but halt at installing boot loader.
'

Do you know how to get past it?

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

I'm trying to install Ubuntu on my MacBook Pro on a new Samsung 860 Evo SSD. I have downloaded the ISO and verified the ISO's authenticity. I have a SATA USB adapter that connects to the SSD so I am able access the SSD. Is it possible to just install it directly into the new SSD without the use of a bootable DVD/USB? I am planning to just use 100% of Ubuntu and no partitions are needed (not dual booting with MacOS) and will just replace my old hard drive with this new SSD. How may I go about this process?

Does your MacBook Pro have Apple's T2 chip in it?

I had it installed that, I think about two years ago. And I revert back to mac OS. Gave to yo my daughter, coz I dislike Mac, I had two laptops one Mac and one linux, I stick with Linux.

The MacBook Pro works, but not very stable. Interact ubunto seem jumping by trackpad, also loading time is slow. So bleh.. got rid of Mac book...

I had it installed that, I think about two years ago. And I revert back to mac OS. Gave to yo my daughter, coz I dislike Mac, I had two laptops one Mac and one linux, I stick with Linux.

The MacBook Pro works, but not very stable. Interact ubunto seem jumping by trackpad, also loading time is slow. So bleh.. got rid of Mac book...

I read the other day that there was one general success in installing Ubuntu on the newer Macbook products but things like the trackpad were being problem.

My old MacBook pro is 2009, so that probably why it unstable. I wouldn't spend much my money on MacBook. I would go for a normal laptop for reasonable price.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts