Intel CPU spikes when rendering video

ExperiBassMusic

Reaction score
Credits
Hello! owo7

I've been all over discord and telegram and havent found a solution for my issue, so im coming here.

I have a really weird issue: when rendering video (playing games, watching youtube), my CPU usage will randomly spike to 100% usage and slow down the system considerably until it fixes itself. ive tried looking at `top` and `gnome-system-monitor` when it occurs, but the only thing i see is the process thats rendering the video spiking in usage before settling back down. I also checked `dmesg` and `journalctl`, but there was nothing more than the normal system logs. It started happening a week after i ran my monthly `-Syu` about a month ago, and has randomly been popping up (some days ill have no issue or minimal spiking, other days itll be heavy spiking that stops my system for 3 seconds+). I've tried rolling back to a backup before the update, without any success. System info is below:

Host: MacBookPro16,2 1.0
Kernel: 5.14.13-1mbp-16.1-linux-wifi
Resolution: 2560x1600
CPU: Intel i5-1038NG7 @ 3.800GHz
GPU: Intel Iris Plus

Mesa v21.3.0
Kernel args: `quiet loglevel=3 nowatchdog intel_iommu=on iommu=pt pcie_ports=compat efi=noruntime`

G'day, Welcome to Linux.org

What exactly is your "-Syu"

Are you using Timeshift to roll back ?

Have there been any kernel updates ?

I would assume the ram available is sufficient?

What driver is being used for the GPU?
inxi -G output?

G'day, Welcome to Linux.org

What exactly is your "-Syu"

Are you using Timeshift to roll back ?

Have there been any kernel updates ?

I would assume the ram available is sufficient?
yay -Syu, Timeshift with RSYNC, and no kernel updates. and yes, i have 16gb ram

What driver is being used for the GPU?
inxi -G output?
i915

Code:
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel driver: i915 v: kernel

Device-2: Apple FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in) type: USB driver: uvcvideo

Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.21.1.1 driver: loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 2560x1600~60Hz

OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel Iris Plus Graphics (ICL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.3.0

Ok, i think i found a solution? I was looking through the AUR and came across intel-undervolt, and went to a friend who undervolts to see if it would be feasable(how do you even spell that?) for me to undervolt my cpu. they said it should be fine, so i undervolted by 0.1, and since then, ive had no issues with stuttering. Should i mark as solved?

Members online