Introduction to Linux

Thank you for creating this thread, OP. It's very useful. Right now I'm learning stuff about coding. I want to become a network engineer and I need to start from something. Not so long ago one of my friends actually became Cisco certified network engineer. He told me that I can do it too.. with a little help. He told me about this cciedump.spoto.net site. They provide help with Cisco certification or something. Right now I have some doubts about should I do it. On the other hand, Cisco certification can open a lot of doors for me.

Last edited:

Good Morning. Can I still enroll in the 15-hour Introduction to Linux course that starts today?

Absolutely no idea, but welcome to linux.org :)

Just in case of any misapprehension on your part, we are not an official arm nor organ of Linux, just scored the dot org name - we are manned by volunteer staff who share a love of Linux and have varying skills in various departments.

There is a course run by way of collaboration between The Linux Foundation and edX, you can look at it here

https://training.linuxfoundation.org/training/introduction-to-linux-2/

and see if it suits, it is 40 hours of self-paced work with an exam at the end.

If it is something else you are looking for, you have have to tell us where you read it.

Good luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hello community

I wanna know is Linux OS or not? On reddit i found topic that someone was explaining that GNU is OS and Linux is a Kernel. GNU with linux.

Is that right?

I wanna know is Linux OS or not?
Welcome to the forums.
No its not,
You have the Linux kernel [the operating system] you have then got a distribution built on top of it, [this is your desktop and applications] which together make what most people call an operating system
GNU-Linux is the full and proper title for the Linux kernel, but everyone just calls it Linux
Linux Foss built distributions do not contain non-free [manufacturer supplied drivers] whereas most general distributions do
GNU is an extensive collection of free software, which can be used as an operating system or can be used in parts with other operating systems. The use of the completed GNU tools led to the family of operating systems popularly known as Linux. Most of GNU is licensed under the GNU Project's own General Public

Welcome to the forums.
No its not,
You have the Linux kernel [the operating system] you have then got a distribution built on top of it, [this is your desktop and applications] which together make what most people call an operating system
GNU-Linux is the full and proper title for the Linux kernel, but everyone just calls it Linux
Linux Foss built distributions do not contain non-free [manufacturer supplied drivers] whereas most general distributions do
GNU is an extensive collection of free software, which can be used as an operating system or can be used in parts with other operating systems. The use of the completed GNU tools led to the family of operating systems popularly known as Linux. Most of GNU is licensed under the GNU Project's own General Public
Hello @Klavier,
Welcome to the forum. As @Brickwizard has done a good job of discribing it. I will only add this page which may be of help
thanks guys for your full kind responses.

GNU-Linux is the full and proper title for the Linux kernel

Slight modification:

GNU/Linux is the full and proper title of the Linux kernel when mixed with the GNU tools.

As you said, Linux is the kernel. GNU provides many of the tools that make the kernel useful. They're two different things from two different entities. The GNU project was without a kernel when Linux was released. (It still doesn't have much in the way of a working kernel, see HURD for more info.)

So, the full and proper title of the Linux kernel is just "Linux". When it's mixed with GNU's tools (as it almost always is, I think there's like one or two distros that don't rely on GNU) is when it becomes GNU/Linux.

I am starting my journey with Linux, do I also need knowledge of Unix as a prerequisite?

No...pick a distro....something straightforward which there is plenty of support for.......and go for it.

Learn by doing.

Linux Mint ticks those boxes.

We all have our favourite distributions, some popular and some not so, but they are our choices, your best choice is just that yours, try a few different ones "Live" from a pen-drive, the best one for you is the one you like the look and feel of and that runs on your equipment the best.

I am starting my journey with Linux, do I also need knowledge of Unix as a prerequisite?
Not a prerequisite at all. Will be helpful on the command line to some extent but not needed. I recommend looking at this page it's helpful in learning Linux and choosing your first distro. Enjoy the Linux journey!

Not a prerequisite at all. Will be helpful on the command line to some extent but not needed. I recommend looking at this page it's helpful in learning Linux and choosing your first distro. Enjoy the Linux journey!
Thank you for sharing the link, that's really helpful.

Welcome to the forums
If you have a machine with W10/11 before you start, you will need to disable windows Quick-start/ Fast-boot in the UEFI /BIOS, depending on your chosen distribution you may also have to disable secure boot.
A simple guide to installing most distributions on majority of machines [including chromebooks] not Mac’s see https://linux-tips.us/how-do-i-install-linux-a-general-guide/

The page I linked in my original post is no longer available.
this page will be helpful though.

I thought this was going to be easy to download and install and use. you need a college degree to use this.
I have been reading all day and only get more confused.
I want an operating system I download install and use it out of the box.
Like Windows is. I hate windows I have been using it since windows windows 3.0 when it evolved to Windows 7 is when it started turning in to garbage. I am looking for something else everyone points to Linux but i don't want to deal with all the code

is there a version i can download install and start using it?
I play a lot of Video games stream videos that is my main thing.
I do not do the social media thing I take lots of pictures and videos.
I have an MSI stealth gaming laptop. its has 16GB x2 32GB total memory an Intel i7 13th gen. 8 core, 16 Logical cpu base clock 5.3GHz max clock 6.8GHz it has dual graphics Intel Iris Xe and NVIDIA RTX 3090 Max Q a 1.5TB SSD, 17 Inch 4k, 8k ready monitor.

Thank You

Hello @Bobcat,
Welcome to the linux.org forum.
You should start your own thread not piggy back on someone elses.
But to answer your question try linux mint the nvidia card may cause you some problems but should be workable.
Linux is not Windows (thankfully) and you will have a learning curve no matter which distro you choose.

Sorry about that I thought this was a post for everyone to reply to.
so I should get Mint?
Is Mint good for gaming?
Thank You.

Members online