Introduction

MattWinter

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
I saw a thread that suggested posting an introduction if you plan on sticking around, so here's mine.

I've used Linux off and on for a while just to play with, but recently switched to Linux "full time" early this year. There is so much to learn, I feel like I could use Linux another 10 years and still only scratch the surface.

I used to be a software engineer using primarily Microsoft tools - Visual Studio, SQL Server, etc. I started liking MS less and less when Edge and Cortana came out. Then I upgraded a home machine and it invalidated my Windows key and the last straw was when I couldn't figure out how to buy a new one. I switched to Linux and haven't looked back.

I still need to pull out my Windows laptop to do some things with school (I'm getting a Master's with a focus on machine learning online), but I used Linux for everything I can now. Once I got more comfortable, I couldn't believe it took me so long to switch...it just feels like everything is right at my fingertips. I started out with Mint and switched to Arch a couple months later.

You've got two beers from the Aussies, so far.

G'day Matt and welcome to linux.org :)

I feel like I could use Linux another 10 years and still only scratch the surface.

Been there, done that, got a t-shirt along the way. I've been at it 12 years, full-time 8 years (loved the last 8 years, although I did enjoy Windows 7) - no regrets on the full-time, quite the contrary.

Ask away in the support forums if you have any questions on anything you can't find a Google answer for or intuitively work out - we have a substantial number of friendly brain boxes here who can answer all sorts of questions.

Enjoy your Linux.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

What he said up there ^^^^^....from another Aussie.

You will enjoy yourself here, Matt.

I feel like I could use Linux another 10 years and still only scratch the surface.
Welcome to the forums,
one thing we have all learnt, no matter how long or how much you have used Linux, you will still be on a learning curve,
so grab one of those beers, kick off your boots, sit back, and enjoy the ride

Welcome Matt! Nice to have you here with us! Glad you have found your new favorite hobby! Although Arch is overrated but if it works for you keep using it.

Welcome Matt! Nice to have you here with us! Glad you have found your new favorite hobby! Although Arch is overrated but if it works for you keep using it.
When I used to get new Windows machines I would go through and uninstall everything it came with I didn't want, delete all the desktop icons for Yahoo toolbar or AOL or Norton or whatever, to try to get the machine as clean as possible. When I installed Arch the first time, I forgot to add vim to the list of packages to install. I just really liked the idea that there wasn't anything on there that I didn't put there.

I recently moved across the country and a lot of stuff is still in boxes, but once I get it unpacked, I'm going to try a Gentoo install on my spare machine and see how that goes.

... if you plan on sticking around ...

Please do. The more the merrier.

The more folks there are, the better the odds of someone knowing something. So, that's another bonus point.

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

Hello MattWinter, your presense has been appreciated so far...

If you're into that kinda stuff, i recommend the "...for dummies" series and also No Starch Press if you like books, i tend to think that O'Reilly Media is a lower quality publisher in terms of technical manuals.

Otherwise, this site and stack exchange are pretty much all you need if you're looking to figure things out about linux and programming. You tube is another source but i tend not to like it as much as just having text available.
When I used to get new Windows machines I would go through and uninstall everything it came with I didn't want, delete all the desktop icons for Yahoo toolbar or AOL or Norton or whatever, to try to get the machine as clean as possible.
Yep, it's a lot of effort trying to remove bloatware from windows and android. I like the greater since of control i get from linux, but i am not to the point where i am a machine programmer so just shrugging and accepting the way things are is currently good enough for me. I've been wanting to play with Arch but i just don't want to go through the process of backing everything up again and going through that particular learning process, but maybe i'll install a VM.

Hey Matt, you may enjoy this, first couple of verses rhyme, the last couple don't, but I thought the user made a good fist of it, what think you? Found it searching for something else

a poem about the typical Arch Linux user.​

In a dark and dusty corner,
Lurks a hacker with a frown,
Eager to tinker and to build,
The ultimate Linux crown.

He scours the forums and the chat rooms,
For tips and tricks and hacks,
With Arch Linux by his side,
He never looks back.

He's not afraid to break things,
To bend and twist and mold,
For in the world of Arch Linux,
He's a legend, never old.

He craves the power and the freedom,
That only Arch Linux can provide,
And with each new challenge conquered,
His skills and knowledge multiply.

So here's to the typical Arch Linux user,
A true master of his craft,
A fearless explorer of technology,
Forever pushing the limits,
Never looking back.

Wiz

but maybe i'll install a VM.

Crazy, that's actually all I have done with it so far. Used one of my other Arch-based distros, an old one called Swagarch as a host, set up Virtualbox, and installed Arch as a Guest. Got as far as putting on a MATE desktop and a couple of extra apps.

Quite interesting, but got sidetracked with other commitments and have not progressed further.

Cheers

Wiz

Last edited:
Hey Matt, you may enjoy this, first couple of verses rhyme, the last couple don't, but I thought the user made a good fist of it, what think you? Found it searching for something else

a poem about the typical Arch Linux user.​

In a dark and dusty corner,
Lurks a hacker with a frown,
Eager to tinker and to build,
The ultimate Linux crown.

He scours the forums and the chat rooms,
For tips and tricks and hacks,
With Arch Linux by his side,
He never looks back.

He's not afraid to break things,
To bend and twist and mold,
For in the world of Arch Linux,
He's a legend, never old.

He craves the power and the freedom,
That only Arch Linux can provide,
And with each new challenge conquered,
His skills and knowledge multiply.

So here's to the typical Arch Linux user,
A true master of his craft,
A fearless explorer of technology,
Forever pushing the limits,
Never looking back.

Wiz
That is great! I haven't seen that one before.

:)...Welcome...:)