is creating a user partition good protocol

urdrwho10

Reaction score
Credits
When installing a distro I've always created two partitions / and /home. Recently on a laptop that is something I use for experimenting I created three partitions one for / and one for /home and for /usr.

Is this good or bad protocol.

LOL... this is almost a religious war question. You will get a lot of different opinions on this.
But most common distros these days tend to put /usr under /

I would say unless you are compiling a lot "custom in-house" binaries, it probably isn't needed.

Oh I did not intend to step in the mud or create a war. I've never done the /usr partition --- never missed not having it and I compile nothing. Well I might compile empty wine bottles.

For now I removed the experiment. I realized I had allocated far too many gigs to the home and share. The share was at the next to the end of unallocated space and no problem shrinking that one. The home was between /home and /. I couldn't find a way to shrink it without ending up with messy unallocated spots. So since it was a fresh install, I'll just start over.

I'll wait to see if the possible war brings up anything before I install again. :)

LOL... this is almost a religious war question. You will get a lot of different opinions on this.
But most common distros these days tend to put /usr under /

I would say unless you are compiling a lot "custom in-house" binaries, it probably isn't needed.

I wonder if /usr makes sense on a system with lots of users?

Members online