Is It Possible to Jailbreak a Ring Doorbell?

To modify the doorbell to use a different server, your neighbor would need to have access to the doorbell's hardware and software. They would need to modify the firmware of the doorbell to change the server that it sends data to. This process would likely void the warranty of the doorbell and could potentially cause it to stop working if not done correctly.

In addition, the Ring doorbell uses proprietary software that may not be easily modified by third parties. This means that your neighbor may not have access to the necessary tools or documentation to make these changes.

i wonder why you want to jailbreak the ring doorbell?

Jailbteaking just means opening up the software so that you can modify it. There's nothing malicious about wanting to control your own devices. This is especially true today when so many things require a 'cloud connection' with companies dropping support for products.

i wonder why you want to jailbreak the ring doorbell?
Because the one who is wanting to do the hacking is up to no good.
Jailbteaking just means opening up the software so that you can modify it. There's nothing malicious about wanting to control your own devices. This is especially true today when so many things require a 'cloud connection' with companies dropping support for products.
Okay wrong choice of words on my part.
I look at jailbreak the same as hacking.

Don't get me wrong I've done my share of hacking software, pirating software, whatever you choose to call it.

In the case of Ring doorbell it's for malicious reasons and I don't care what anyone says or tells you.

The reason or purpose for having a ring doorbell is for security reasons to see who's at your door and nothing more.

Okay wrong choice of words on my part.
I look at jailbreak the same as hacking.

Don't get me wrong I've done my share of hacking software, pirating software, whatever you choose to call it.

In the case of Ring doorbell it's for malicious reasons and I don't care what anyone says or tells you.

The reason or purpose for having a ring doorbell is for security reasons to see who's at your door and nothing more.
The perception of an invasion of privacy is somewhat of an interesting debate. The OP was concerned in relation to their privacy being invaded because of the installation of this Ring doorbell by the neighbour. How would you feel if your neighbour across from you installed a camera? Personally, I wouldn’t have a problem with this as long as it doesn’t intrude on any areas of my home that may be of interest for ulterior motives - think pointing to a bedroom window, whereby people are unassumingly getting dressed and there might be a crack in the curtains. I don’t think having that recorded will go down well.

Originally, I believe the OP wanted to know if there was a way to store the footage on a personal server as opposed to the footage being sent straight to Ring. I’m quite interested to know your perspective in relation to why the only reason to get into a Ring doorbell is for a malicious Intent. Out of pure curiosity. Maybe I’m missing something here but having access to someone else’s recordings of deliveries, arriving home, leaving home is irrelevant unless you planned on attacking the home itself and use Ring to confirm their absence.

Members online