Is it possible to recover a failed SSD which is encrypted using Cryptsetup?

When they recover encrypted disks, the content is still encrypted. They just recover all the sectors on the drive and copy them onto another drive. They don't decrypt the data - unless you give them the password/key.

Because it is encrypted, they don't know what sectors are actually full of useful data. This is why they recover all the sectors on the drive.

It must be drive busting season since I'm not the only one whose drive conked.

Encrypting your drive is a solution meant for enterprises, concerned with theft where it could cost them millions for industrial espionage.

To understand the difficulty of recovering the data, it is the equivalent of asking a fat, wobbly guy like myself to walk a tightrope while badly drunk and heavily sedated.

You need professional help, it will cost in excess of multiples of what a new drive is worth and even then, the extraction process may fail or may be futile if the pro isn't able to recover the ENTIRE decription sequencer.

At least it will be a lesson for you in the future.

It must be drive busting season since I'm not the only one whose drive conked.

Encrypting your drive is a solution meant for enterprises, concerned with theft where it could cost them millions for industrial espionage.

To understand the difficulty of recovering the data, it is the equivalent of asking a fat, wobbly guy like myself to walk a tightrope while badly drunk and heavily sedated.

You need professional help, it will cost in excess of multiples of what a new drive is worth and even then, the extraction process may fail or may be futile if the pro isn't able to recover the ENTIRE decription sequencer.

At least it will be a lesson for you in the future.
Thats correct even though people who do illegal things, or are concerned about people they know snooping through their stuff, may also want to encrypt. My password file is encrypted but beyond that i tend to prefer easy access.

Members online

Latest posts