Is it possible to replace the installed OS on a mini PC with a linux distro?

C

CrazedNerd

Something like this:

...of course it's possible, but can you do it just through a flash drive, or do they tend to have built-in prevention for tampering with the factory software, such as with practically all smartphones? It's probably better to get a raspberry pi than to screw with something like this...however, i think compact computers generally are pretty cool.

Just search for the make/model and add "+linux".

But, yeah, you can with that one - from what it looks like online. It doesn't have like a locked bootloader or anything. So, it's really just a conventional PC in a small form factor.

(This is not true with all tiny computers, but is true with this one. Things like an SSD and i5 are good indicators.)

what is a small form factor/mini computer? basically they are a laptop/netbook in a box without a screen, most components [in the ones I have had apart] are common to laptops to run cooler and use less power.

Should be no big problem install linux on that machine. only thing I see in it's spec that maybe a problem is wifi may need some work. But other than that go for it. A test run with a live usb would answer that question. Which Distro are you thinking about?

just to add, dell are about the most Linux friendly makes in the market place, the optiplex range are designed as commercial [office] desktops and are built to be reliable , like all office machines they may not be the fastest or flashest but make a good solid everyday home desktop, you may find them a little slow for heavy picture/vidio rendering and are not suitable for most gaming,
you will need to turn off windows fast boot [in the bios] but as a 4yr old [aprox] machine it should run any distribution you fancy, most components are well supported by the Linux kernel but as @kc1di said the wireless may take some work depending on which make/model is fitted.

Should be no big problem install linux on that machine. only thing I see in it's spec that maybe a problem is wifi may need some work. But other than that go for it. A test run with a live usb would answer that question. Which Distro are you thinking about?

i was just thinking about this last week when i was contemplating either a micro-ATX or mini-ITX build during all the black friday cyber monday stuff. They make carrying cases for stuff in the micro-ATX range. I don't have any intention currently of buying a mini-pc, but I'm always super careful about buying anything like this. Computers tend to work and my last build (which i am using right now) was fine, but sometimes they're not, which is always really frustrating.

I have been using refurbs for quite a few years. Never had a problem with them. Always able to install Linux on them with no difficulty.
Old Geezer
TC
cc
Here's a snapshot of my current main machine.

my-system-12-6-21.png

Members online