Is it possible to run x86-64 Linux VMs on ARM64?

k4ir0n

Reaction score
Credits
Case: I want to install an ARM64-based GNU/Linux distribution on Raspberri Pi 4, model B. After that, I want to install KVM + qemu to import a VM I created on AMD64. That VM runs Debian 10.4.
Question: Is it possible to run AMD64 (or x86-64, the name you like) VMs on ARM64?

Case: I want to install an ARM64-based GNU/Linux distribution on Raspberri Pi 4, model B. After that, I want to install KVM + qemu to import a VM I created on AMD64. That VM runs Debian 10.4.
Question: Is it possible to run AMD64 (or x86-64, the name you like) VMs on ARM64?
Yes, It should be possible, after all it is possible running an arm64 VM on an amd64 host system, so I think the opposite; running an amd64 VM on an arm64 system, should work. VMs run inside a virtual environment, so I think one should be able to run whatever arch; i386, amd64, arm64 no matter what the arch's host is, I could be wrong though, for example I'm not sure whether a 32bit system could run a 64bit VM, I know the opposite is true but never tried running a 64 bit VM on a 32 bit host. I guess you'll have to try and let us know whether you succed or not.

Members online