is online banking secure on Mint 20.2?

ReginaBob

Reaction score
Credits
I am using Google chrome to do online banking.Is this secure or should I use a more secure browser(statrpage maybe?).I have startpage installed as an extension on chrome but I cant see how that is more secure than chrome alone.Confused.Also,is there a way to store passwrds securely on my computer so the the browser can access them.I,m assuming google stores them in the "cloud".

Anything Google or Microsoft, I will not use out of choice [even the search engine] No browser is safe and personalty I think they are the worse of the bunch.. whichever you use the golden rule is DO NOT let your computer/browser store any of your banking log in details and regularly delete your banks cookies and history. and try to remember to change your password at least every 3 months [you should be doing this for any site that holds personal information shopping accounts/health accounts/ social media etc]

My experiences are as follows

I use Brave Browser. It blocks adds etc etc by default. On occasion I use Firefox.

On Brave Browser & Firefox, I have the duckduckgo privacy essentials app installed.

I also use Linux Mint 20.2 ...exclusively.

I access three different banks....almost daily.

i have used Linux mint since 2014 or thereabouts with no cause for either complaint or suspicion of trouble.

Personally I would not use Chrome. I would also not use Google.

For password storage I use BitWarden.

I find that it works. It is free. I have no complaint or fear of trouble.

Having said that I never store my banking passwords on a password manager, bitwarden included.

I think it is more than possible to overthink the situation.

As long as the password you use is not the name of your dog or your date of birth, then you have the best chances of staying secure.
If you regularly say to your wife....."I cannot understand the mindset of my grandchildren"......and if this is a phrase you say often....Then use that. Take the first or second or third etc letter from each word, make some of them capitals....add numbers (perhaps the ages of each grandchild......and you have a password that is incredibly secure.

Security is a mindset....your mindset.

The browser can help, but only if the password/passphrase is not easily figured out.

Where to store the passphrase etc ect ??....that is up to you and will be governed by the people in your house, etc etc. Remember your wife will need to know how to access it just in case you get hit by a truck or some other equally catastrophic occurrence.

Most of it comes down to good practices.
- Don't install stuff outside official repos (that includes appimages and flatpaks, etc.)
- Use a dedicated browser in private mode for banking only and clear it of history, cookies, and cache each time. Do not install any addons. Ensure https connections. Do not fall for TLD tircks: mybank.co.com. Know your bank's URI.
- Never click email or text message links that redirect to your bank. Even if it was sent by the bank.
- Never trust storing your passwords digitally in anything.
- ALWAYS USE 2FA!!!
- ALWAYS USE 2FA!!!

- Oh, and beware of phishing:

Edit: Updated video to English subs version

Last edited:
You may want to use a New Private Window in your browser to log into your bank.

Works like a charm for me:-

I access three different banks....almost daily.
I use Brave exclusively for anything that could be comprised and affect me.
Do your banks set up a peer to peer portal to interact with them?

Yes, upon log in I am taken to the Banks site, and it is secure.
If my money is accessed via that site through an attack of some kind, I am covered.
On the other hand if my password is 123456 then I wear the costs.

The bank will only communicate fairly tame stuff via email, propmotional crap etc....but never asking for a password or anything related.
They dont even include a live link to their site on the email.

My passwords have a minimum number of letters capitals, symbols etc etc of 16.

I use a password manager. it beats my memory hands down.

I am taken to the Banks site
When I do they create a totally new window from which to carryout what is required with their web page behind it. I had learnt that it was peer to peer many years ago. But that does not happen with another bank I use so I was just wondering about that aspect. Not that I trust any bank that far.

Members online