Is there a FAST way to "wipe" a drive?

Monte1022

Reaction score
Credits
From my previous thread...I could never get the superblock thing fixed, so I was just going to wipe and reformat a 3 TB drive that I have. I think I got everything off of it.

Anyway, I started doing a dd on it, but that seems to be taking a LONG time. So, is there a FAST way I can wipe this drive? I can't mount it because of the superblock thing, so I'm hoping wiping it will allow me to do so, but I want to do it FAST (a few minutes or hours instead of DAYS, like I anticipate dd taking).

Anything I can do?

By ''wipe'' do you mean zeroing the disk? All you can do is in the ''Disks'' utility of your OS, fast format without zeroing or zeroing the disk that takes some time

By ''wipe'' do you mean zeroing the disk? All you can do is in the ''Disks'' utility of your OS, fast format without zeroing or zeroing the disk that takes some time
I tried using the Disks utility, but it won't let me format. Gives me an I/O error (I think this is related to the bad superblock thing).

What about this "shred" command I've seen? Would that take a while, too? I started running dd yesterday, and it's 173 GB into the 3 TB, and has, so far, taken about 16 hours. So if we project that out, 1 GB will take nearly a month of running. There's gotta be something faster I can do.

I tried using the Disks utility, but it won't let me format. Gives me an I/O error (I think this is related to the bad superblock thing).
i/o errors are usually signs of a failing disk or that it will soon fail, check your disk with smartctl.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think it's better just to scrap this drive and buy a new one.

^ Third-ed

You just missed some great deals at NewEgg - but storage space is still insanely cheap these days.

^ Fourthed

BTW, external HDDs are cheaper (reason="because") -- at least in my country (RSA). I had a stash of USB-SATA controllers collected from my stripped externals that I gave away last year, lol. I notice that you can't get new 5400RPMs any more, it's all 7200s now. Trying to compete with SSDs now that NAND is becoming cheaper coz we're fitting more die on everything thanks to 3D. I believe Micron (they make Crucial RAM -- AFAIK the only company that makes the die and the modules) has 200+ layer in the works and wanna push it to 500! So regular HDDs just gonna be getting cheaper, which is fine coz IMHO, NAND is not great for long-term storage, especially when you have tons of I/O happening while the controllers are going insane trying to balance out wear-leveling.

But to answer the OP, there's no fast way to securely wipe a HDD. You dd it with /dev/random (sloooooow) and if you are super paranoid, repeat with /dev/zero (sloooow, but faster than random) and wash/rinse/repeat... That said, there are other options:

Option B:
If you just wanna destroy everything including partitions (without wiping the actual data), just create a new parition table.

Option C:
If you want to wipe the disk semi-securely, a speedup is to use 512K blocks from a file (preferably not dev/random as it's more obvious, whereas a file, say a JPEG, is more confusing) thusly:
P = Partition Size (G) x 1024^2;
C = P / 512;
dd if=My512K.img of=/dev/MyHDD bs=512K count=C

^ Obviously the values can be adjusted, just keep the formula consistent, i.e. for a 512 byte block, you'd do P = Size (G) x 1024^3. C is constant unless you used 256, 128, etc. I suggest sticking with 512K, it's a nice block size, but you'll get about ~1GB/s on 512-byte blocks, so per TB, you're looking at ~18min, whereas with a 512K block, you're looking at ~6min). And obviously double those times (roughly) for each division, i.e. 256b, 128b, 64b, and so on -- keep it multiples of 8.

*If any of my math is off, it's lack of coffee. Mods feel free to double-check / edit it.

That doesn't work if the drive isn't mounted and you have a superblock issue. Otherwise I would.
That's why I suggested dd'ing it in chunks to wipe it semi-securely if byte-by-byte dd'ing is too slow.

That doesn't work if the drive isn't mounted and you have a superblock issue. Otherwise I would.
Most likely you have a bad/corrupted magic number in your Superblock

Code:
sudo dumpe2fs /dev/sdb1 | grep superblock
Note: where sdb1 may need to be replaced with the correct number for your drive and post back the output

Once the Drive wont mount or format...it's time to get a new one and I hope it's backed up.
happy0035.gif