Is there a portable device for linux Fedora

H

husnalb

Is there a portable device for linux fedora? I should be able to plug in my HDD or pendrive on any computer and should have my personal desktop where ever I go. If yes, then is it copyrighted or patent?

There are probably many ways to get Fedora, or other distro, on your pendrive. A couple of easy methods are Unetbootin and Pendrive Linux. Not sure about the answer to your copyright question. Sorry, I'm a noob here and the forum won't let me post links... just Google those programs and you should be up and running.

There are probably many ways to get Fedora, or other distro, on your pendrive. A couple of easy methods are Unetbootin and Pendrive Linux. Not sure about the answer to your copyright question. Sorry, I'm a noob here and the forum won't let me post links... just Google those programs and you should be up and running.
thanks for your answer, but is it possible to install the whole OS in my pendrive??

What do you mean by "the whole OS"?

1) A normal install to a pendrive is like a LiveCD. When you remove the pendrive everything you might have added will go, disappear, not be there any more.

2) Next is a pendrive that has an install WITH PERSISTENCE. That means that there is an extra space so you can save some things.

3) The there is a full install to a pendrive. Fedora says it needs 10Gb. Here is a link to SparkyLinux which is based on Debian and not Fedora. http://sparkylinux.org/sparkylinux-full-usb-stick-installation/

4) You can install to an external Hard Drive - this can even be a rotating platter type http://www.pendrivelinux.com/installing-ubuntu-to-a-usb-hard-drive/

Yes, absolutely. Not only that, if you have a fairly large capacity pendrive, watch for a function called "persistence." This sets up a separate file space on the pendrive where it will save your settings and allow you to install other programs besides the basic OS. So your bootable pendrive will remember your passwords that way, such as to log into your favorite WiFi network. But don't forget to consider the security risk that is also possible... a browser bookmark to your bank, and a stored password, might be a big problem if your pendrive is lost or stolen.

Thanks to arochester also for the followup as I was typing this reply.

please tell me about the copyrighting.

With Linux, there is no worry of software ownership. Linux and many of its applications are free open-source-software meaning you can legal change the source code, make dozens of copies, and distribute to anyone. Just do not sell Linux.

It's not only about money. Remember that your derivative works must also be free-open-source-software. While FOSS may be free of copyrights and patents, it still falls under one of several licensing agreements, such as GPL or Apache. There are always rules to play by, even with Linux. The rules are fairly easy to live with, but you should make yourself aware of them if you are going to distribute any software to the public.

Members online