Is there a tool like yast for Ubuntu server

kcummins

Reaction score
Credits
Hi

Is there a tool like YAST for Ubuntu server with only command line interface no desktop installed.
Thanks

You have things like apt and aptitude for package management on Debian based systems, but nothing quite like yast. There is tasksel - which allows you to choose certain types of packages to install/uninstall.
Perhaps webmin, but that would require a browser. But I'm not sure if that would work via terminal based web-browsers like w3m or lynx. It probably requires a browser with javascript enabled!

There was a project called yast4debian, which aimed to port yast to work on Debian and Debian derived distro's. The last I saw, the project was dormant, with nobody leading/maintaining the project.
A quick bit of duckduckgo-fu seems to indicate that the yast4debian project has been completely abandoned!

You have things like apt and aptitude for package management on Debian based systems, but nothing quite like yast. There is tasksel - which allows you to choose certain types of packages to install/uninstall.
Perhaps webmin, but that would require a browser. But I'm not sure if that would work via terminal based web-browsers like w3m or lynx. It probably requires a browser with javascript enabled!

There was a project called yast4debian, which aimed to port yast to work on Debian and Debian derived distro's. The last I saw, the project was dormant, with nobody leading/maintaining the project.
A quick bit of duckduckgo-fu seems to indicate that the yast4debian project has been completely abandoned!

Thanks Jas

Members online