Is there an upgrade path for Ubuntu 20.04?

Shmu26

Reaction score
Credits
I am on Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS with Xubuntu desktop. I want to jump into the semi-annual upgrade channel. I tried upgrading to 21.04 but there were so many issues that I had to revert back to 20.04. I assume this is because I am trying to jump two steps ahead at once. Is there a way I can upgrade to 20.10, and from there to 21.04?

Hmm...

Change this to 'normal releases' (search for software sources in your applications menu):

Selection_010.png

Update.

Then it should offer you an upgrade to a newer version - though that may not happen immediately.

If it doesn't, you can try 'sudo apt full-upgrade' to see what it offers you.

This is untested by me personally, but it should work.

Hmm...

Change this to 'normal releases' (search for software sources in your applications menu):

View attachment 10482

Update.

Then it should offer you an upgrade to a newer version - though that may not happen immediately.

If it doesn't, you can try 'sudo apt full-upgrade' to see what it offers you.

This is untested by me personally, but it should work.
That is in fact what I did, and it offered me 21.04, but the upgrade to 21.04 gave me grief. I think chances of success are better if I go from 20.04 to 20.10, and then from 20.10 to 21.04. Baby steps. The problem is I don't know how to get an upgrade to 20.10. Or maybe I just have to be patient unto the next LTS release.

I personally would not upgrade to an interim version they have limited life span, limited support and generally have a few bugs in them - I would wait until 22.04 comes out that will be the next LTS version

Or maybe I just have to be patient unto the next LTS release.

That's your best choice, in my opinion.

You can't go interim release by interim release as interim release servers (those that provide the software) aren't up very long. They usually get nuked not long after the next interim release has been released.

Staff online