Is Virtualbox Energy Heavy? [Solved]

D

Deleted member 111282

I often keep a virtual machine running for relatively long periods of time, and after a while, the fan on my desktop gets loud (probably because it's using so much energy at the time). After I shut the VM down, the fan quiets down. I've been thinking about upgrading the hardware since its getting up in age anyway, but I don't have the money for it at the moment. Now I'm thinking of shutting each VM down when I'm not using it, such as when I'm sleeping, and possibly using a different program that doesn't require nearly as much energy and resources to run. If you're running somewhat old hardware, do you have this problem with VB as well?

If you're running somewhat old hardware, do you have this problem with VB as well?
New or old hardware might struggle to keep running a VM for long periods of time if resources are not enough. If your machine doesn't have lots of them, then you might try running the VM and close any other apps in the host, so the VM can use the host's resources effectively.

New or old hardware might struggle to keep running a VM for long periods of time if resources are not enough. If your machine doesn't have lots of them, then you might try running the VM and close any other apps in the host, so the VM can use the host's resources effectively.

I'm only running Ubuntu MATE in it right now, but I'll take what you said about closing down other programs. Thanks!

Members online

Latest posts