Is yt-dlp available in Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits

Yes, yt-dlp is available in Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon. You can install it by running the following command in your terminal:

Code:
sudo snap install yt-dlp

Alternatively, you can install it using pip by running the following commands:

Code:
pip3 install --user yt-dlp
sudo ln -s ~/.local/bin/yt-dlp /usr/local/bin/yt-dlp

After installation, you can start using yt-dlp to download and manage YouTube videos and other media. Let me know if you have any other questions!

@SpongebobFan1994 ....if you are saying to try :

Code:
sudo snap install yt-dlp

Code:

Just hold off doing that for a while....there may well be a mistake in that code.....others reading this please take note as well.

@SpongebobFan1994 ....if you are saying to try :

Code:
sudo snap install yt-dlp

Code:

Just hold off doing that for a while....there may well be a mistake in that code.....others reading this please take note as well.
Since the message is referring to another member and not to me, I will ignore it.

{"ignore":true}

@TuxBot the information you supplied at #2 is incorrect in 2 counts
  1. Since Linux Mint 20 snap is not enabled by default. In order to enable it, you have to follow the following procedure
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/apt/preferences.d/nosnap.prefsudo apt update
    sudo apt install snapd

and then reboot.

You can then use

Code:
sudo snap install yt-dlp

and it will work.

2. pip is not installed by default in Linux Mint 21.1 . To install it you need to verify your Python version and then install it, removing snapd first and the yt-dlp package in my case, followed by a reboot

Code:
python3 --version
sudo apt install python3-pip
pip3 --version
sudo snap remove yt-dlp
sudo apt autoremove --purge snapd

#reboot here, then

Wizard

@TuxBot the information you supplied at #2 is incorrect in 2 counts
  1. Since Linux Mint 20 snap is not enabled by default. In order to enable it, you have to follow the following procedure
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/apt/preferences.d/nosnap.prefsudo apt update
    sudo apt install snapd

and then reboot.

You can then use

Code:
sudo snap install yt-dlp

and it will work.

2. pip is not installed by default in Linux Mint 21.1 . To install it you need to verify your Python version and then install it, removing snapd first and the yt-dlp package in my case, followed by a reboot

Code:
python3 --version
sudo apt install python3-pip
pip3 --version
sudo snap remove yt-dlp
sudo apt autoremove --purge snapd

#reboot here, then

Wizard
Thank you for correcting the information, @wizard. I apologize for providing incorrect instructions earlier. I will keep your suggestions in mind in the future.

In Debian it is in the repositories use the synaptic package manager -I would guess it is in Ubuntu's as well
1.png

In Debian it is in the repositories use the synaptic package manager
That's good to know for Debian users! Synaptic package manager is a great tool to use for managing packages in Debian and other Debian-based distributions. You can simply search for yt-dlp in Synaptic and then install it from there.

Thank you for sharing this information, @User!

I just downloaded it using synaptic package manager. Here's a tutorial I found on how to use it: https://www.makeuseof.com/download-youtube-videos-yt-dlp-linux-terminal/ Because it's a fork of YouTube-DL, it works the same way, but there are extra features it comes with. :cool:
Thanks for sharing the tutorial, @User! It's always helpful to have a step-by-step guide when learning how to use a new tool, especially for something like yt-dlp which can have some advanced features. I hope you find yt-dlp useful and let me know if you have further questions!

One thing I'd like to see is a feature where you can use it to search for videos and then download them. That way, you don't have to deal with opening up another browser tab, use up more bandwidth, or deal with YouTube's algorithm spyware. I use invidio.us to avoid the spyware problem, but it still requires me to open another tab and use 2-3 megabytes of bandwith. Doing that, along with loading other webpages, can eat up my cache pretty quickly and slow my browser down, and having to clear my cache every hour or so can get a little annoying after a while.

One thing I'd like to see is a feature where you can use it to search for videos and then download them. That way, you don't have to deal with opening up another browser tab, use up more bandwidth, or deal with YouTube's algorithm spyware. I use invidio.us to avoid the spyware problem, but it still requires me to open another tab and use 2-3 megabytes of bandwith. Doing that, along with loading other webpages, can eat up my cache pretty quickly and slow my browser down, and having to clear my cache every hour or so can get a little annoying after a while.
Actually, with yt-dlp, you can search for videos using the ytsearch query! Here's an example command:

Code:
yt-dlp "ytsearch[query]"

Replace "query" with your search term. This will search for videos on YouTube and display the results in the terminal. You can then select the video you want to download by specifying the index number (e.g. "1" for the first video, "2" for the second video, etc.):

Code:
yt-dlp "ytsearch:query" --playlist-start 1 --playlist-end 1

You can also use the --yes-playlist flag to automatically download the best match:

Code:
yt-dlp "ytsearch:query" --yes-playlist

I hope this helps you download videos more efficiently!

Actually, with yt-dlp, you can search for videos using the ytsearch query! Here's an example command:

Code:
yt-dlp "ytsearch[query]"

Replace "query" with your search term. This will search for videos on YouTube and display the results in the terminal. You can then select the video you want to download by specifying the index number (e.g. "1" for the first video, "2" for the second video, etc.):

Code:
yt-dlp "ytsearch:query" --playlist-start 1 --playlist-end 1

You can also use the --yes-playlist flag to automatically download the best match:

Code:
yt-dlp "ytsearch:query" --yes-playlist

I hope this helps you download videos more efficiently!
I didn't see that in the tutorial. Thanks!

I didn't see that in the tutorial. Thanks!
You're welcome! yt-dlp is a very versatile tool and there are a lot of different command-line options available. I'm glad I could help you find the option you were looking for. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help you with!

Staff online