ISO Image Making Tools?

Eddie Paul Litz

Reaction score
Credits
Can you guys give me a complete list of all ISO Image making tools like Calamares please?

Or a list of ISO image making tools (That can go over 4GB) that can make a live ISO image automatically like Systemback does please?

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure you missed the point entirely.

Pretty sure...

Can you guys give me a complete list of all ISO Image making tools like Calamares please?

Or a list of ISO image making tools (That can go over 4GB) that can make a live ISO image automatically like Systemback does please?
Hey @Eddie Paul Litz,

I'm not quite sure I understand your question.

Calamares is an iso image installer.

Systemback is a backup tool to restore your Linux system.

Perhaps these.

Here are the ones I know of:
• Remastersys: Outdated, use the fork Linux Respin instead.
• Linux Respin: What I’m using to create my Linux Disro.
• Clonezilla: Just backs up your installation to put it simply.
• Calamares: You probably don’t want this though judging by your post, and I don’t think it will back up ISOs.
• Systembak: Again, you may not want this.
• Rufus: An ISO installer for Live installations. I highly recommend it as it is lightweight and trustworthy.

There are more but I would highly suggest doing a web search on your favorite search engine. It is much easier than creating a forum post and almost a requirement to do before posting (if not for the sake of discussion). Have a nice day!

Last edited:

More info please Eddie.
Systemback is a tool to take backups of your system and restore them if something goes wrong. It does not make iso images in the usual sense.....that is to make an iso which can then be booted on a pc

Calamares is an installer framework. It is installer. It is used on Manjaro....but it is not the manjaro installer. Calamares is designed to be customized, themed and branded by individual distributions, it can look very different when used by specific distributions. There will be distinct color schemes, etc etc etc....yes I copied and pasted that last bit!

Please explain what you want to achieve.

Are you trying to add a Calamares installer to a build?

More info please Eddie.
Systemback is a tool to take backups of your system and restore them if something goes wrong. It does not make iso images in the usual sense.....that is to make an iso which can then be booted on a pc

Calamares is an installer framework. It is installer. It is used on Manjaro....but it is not the manjaro installer. Calamares is designed to be customized, themed and branded by individual distributions, it can look very different when used by specific distributions. There will be distinct color schemes, etc etc etc....yes I copied and pasted that last bit!

Please explain what you want to achieve.

Are you trying to add a Calamares installer to a build?
I want to make an bootable Live installer for my Cr OS Linux (Chrome OS Linux) Remake that can go over 4gb size. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I want to make an bootable Live installer for my Cr OS Linux (Chrome OS Linux) Remake that can go over 4gb size. Any ideas?
Does anyone have any ideas?

Does anyone have any ideas?
You can just use GNOME Disk Utility which should be good enough for what you are are wanting to do, as stated in the archwiki.
Linux distributions running GNOME can easily make a live CD through nautilus and gnome-disk-utility. Simply right-click on the .iso file, and select Open With Disk Image Writer. When GNOME Disk Utility opens, specify the flash drive from the Destination drop-down menu and click Start Restoring.

Last edited:
You can just use GNOME Disk Utility which should be good enough for what you are are wanting to do, as stated in the archwiki.
You mean like making ISO from GNOME Disk Utility?

I'm a CLI guy, so for me the simplest and easiest is simply dd

dd if=/path/to/cdrom of=/path/to/my.iso

Can't use Gnome Disk Utility while my Hard Drive is being used. Gnome Disk Utility says that my disk is busy.

Can't use Gnome Disk Utility while my Hard Drive is being used. Gnome Disk Utility says that my disk is busy.
To use the Gnome disk utility boot from a live usb then use the disk utility on the live usb stick to image your drive - remember you need the same amount of disk to image to as big as the drive you are imaging

Last edited by a moderator:
To use the Gnome disk utility boot from a live usb then use the disk utility on the live usb stick to image your drive
That's what I thought.

To use the Gnome disk utility boot from a live usb then use the disk utility on the live usb stick to image your drive - remember you need the same amount of disk to image to as big as the drive you are imaging
I tried saving it to my 1tb drive and it said "File too large"
Screenshot_20210418_234634.png

I was assuming you were wanting to make a live usb from an iso, you gave us no information of what you were wanting to copy to your usb drive. Knowing what you are trying to do now, you are probably better off using Ventoy and yes if you are wanting to copy your hard drive to a usb it can't be in use by something else.

Last edited:
My list of the living and the dead (ISO-making tools):

I approved this post. However, we ask that people be participating members if they're going to link to their own site with any consistency/frequency. Registering to post a link to your site, no matter how topical, is pretty spammy. I let it through 'cause it's a pretty good link and well written.

Members online